Right now, I could model for Edvard Munch.  The Air Force is getting rid of LEXIS.  [Insert anguished cry here.]

I understand that WESTLAW has been awarded the electronic legal research contract for the Air Force, Marine Corps, and Army.  As of 1 October, Air Force lawyers will no longer be able to access LEXIS.  [Insert even longer anguished cry here.]

11 Responses to “To paraphrase R.E.M., it’s the end of the world as we know it (but I don’t feel fine)”

1. Anon says:

When I switched I thought the same thing, but I’ve come to believe that WestLaw is the better system.

2. Phil Cave says:

I feel for you. I’ve been using LEXIS since 1976, and would never change. Partly it’s a cost thingee.
    Does WestLaw give me everything I need or could want for $154.00 a month? I should say I get state court cases through the Va. Bar website which is free to members.
    This is so despite a comment the other day about some missing parts of a decision. That comment didn’t say whether WestLaw had the missing parts, or whether both had missing parts.

3. Comrade Cossio says:

Bwahaha, Lexis just came back on for off-site students :) I love it, and I agree with Anon that once you get used to something, its hard to move away from it.

I remember eMailing a friend of mine when Lexis changed how they grouped searches, it got some getting used to but they have made changes (all though I think it is harder to find Military cases since they are lumped into Federal, combined).

I wish Wikipedia came out with a free legal indexing of cases. Although accuracy would be a concern, it should be quicker. Sometimes I’ll even use Google and grab a case on FindLaw or some law school’s webpage.

A hobby of mine is typing certain people’s names into Lexis, (i.e. OSI investigators like James Bogle and Military Judges like LtCl. Kurlander). You can see if one Agent has a “history” of lying to witnesses to get confessions, or if a Judge has a unique perspective on UCI and sub rosa agreements.

4. Phil Cave says:

Cossio: That’s the benefit of have a “military” subscription to LEXIS, they have separated the military stuff so it’s easy, but it’s not cost effective for schools I suspect?

5. Comrade Cossio says:

No, I guess not, Mine just says, Federal Courts, Combined. But it also says US district and Supreme Courts.

It used to have Military Courts a year ago. You can still break it down to Military Courts AFTER you conduct the Federal search – you then have the option of clicking on the left pane to further parse the data into CAAF or the CCA’s. This is what screwed me up when they first changed it because this option was in the drop down menu originally.

Here was my prior conversation, it was actually almost 2 years to this day:

—————————–

**** wrote:
    I use Westlaw at times, and I have another database that is part of a multistate agreement that I access through my local bar association membership. It is about 1/10th the price of Lexis and has access to almost the entire U.S., pretty good deal and cost effective.

——————————————————————————–
    Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:01:40 -0700
    From: tonycossio@yahoo.com
    Subject: RE: Lexis?
    To: ****

Oh no, don’t bother, I’m just complaining, that’s all. I figured out on the left pane there are hypertext links that further group the results by different federal courts. It was odd because it appears after you put the keyword in, I havn’t seen a search engine do that before. I’m actually getting use to it now. I am curious to what other database you use if you find it better than Lexis, is it Westlaw?

**** wrote:
    I have been doing my research through a different database. I will ask some colleagues about it to see if they have any knowledge/tips to make it easier.

——————————————————————————–
    Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:36:03 -0700
    From: tonycossio@yahoo.com
    Subject: Lexis?
    To: ****

I was wondering if you have noticed a change in Lexis, I noticed two in as many months. First it was good, they did away with “military cases” and added “Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces” but now its gone. All they got is “Fedral Court Cases Combined” and “US Courts of Appeals, Combined”. This sucks. I have to enter “military” in all my keyword searches to get what I’m looking for or else I get irrelevant crap.

I was wondering if you noticed the same thing, or using a different version, I’m using the school’s Acedemic Version.

It is the “LexisNexis Academic” version

6. Late Bloomer says:

This is TERRIBLE news. I don’t have an opinion as to which one is better, but I used to teach for LexisNexis, so using their system is a breeze. Now I have to learn a totally new system? Now we have to learn a new citation for unpublished opinions?

7. Some Army Guy says:

Army currently has LEXIS and WESTLAW. At some point over the next year the Army will decide which route to go. It’s been LEXIS for at least the last 8 years.

8. Mike K says:

(Army JAG) I’ve been told not to get too attached to LEXIS. I feel bad for you guys, I was pretty salty when I got my WestLaw logon too. Trust me, WestLaw is actually really good. Give it a shot. “Citing References” and “Limit KeyCite Display” are *extremely useful*

I have used both for many years, both in private practice and as an IMA before retiring. Once you figure out WestLaw’s search logics, it is far “user friendly” and has much more options. I currently have their “Military Law” package [much of which is superfluous in that stuff from the various JAG schools are already available], but that was thrown in as a bonus as part of our Firm’s package.

Once you get used to it, WestLaw allows much faster searches for arcane things with fewer steps than LEXIS. Take the free “tutorial” and you’ll get the hang of it quicker.

And btw, whenever that post was about the missing parts of the opinion on LEXIS, I check and the complete opinion was on WestLaw.

And no, I am NOT a WestLaw rep!!

10. John Harwood says:

This blows. I’ve been a Lexis guy since law school.

11. Comrade Cossio says:

Don’t worry guys, I got the solution: