I’m working on a brief right now and I’m getting very nostalgic about LEXIS.  LEXIS allows me to do a search not only in a combined database of CAAF and CCA opinions, but also in more targeted databases of CAAF decisions only, CAAF and only published CCA opinions, all CCA opinions, only published CCA opinions, and only unpublished CCA opinions (not that I’ve ever used that last database or could imagine a situation in which I would).  WESTLAW doesn’t appear to offer similarly targeted databases; rather, it looks like the only option is to search the “Military Justice Cases” database, which includes every CAAF/CMA/Board of Review/CMR/CCA opinion available on WESTLAW.

I miss LEXIS already.

13 Responses to “Posing for Munch cont’”

1. Jason Grover says:

The Navy doesn’t change much, all that tradition you know. I am changing my LEXIS password to Sullivan in memory of you.

2. MJW2 says:

You can use the “court” function to narrow your search w/in the database, e.g. CO(A.F.Ct.Crim.App.) or CO(CAAF). I was (and still am) a LEXIS fan because I think Westlaw’s user interface is harder to learn & use. But, on the bright side, Westlaw’s headnotes/digest system beats LEXIS hands-down as a research tool.

3. aew says:

mjw2 is right. it is an extra step, but it works. plus, i cant tell you how many times the lexis headnotes are simply wrong. young lawyers make too many mistakes on lexis because of it.

4. Phil Cave says:

Young lawyers are making mistakes because they are practicing from headnotes.

5. Anon says:

Sorry you lost your Lexis. The good news for me is that we have it at the civilian office, so I can keep mine around. I find the military justice research tools very useful and easy to navigate. It is a discussion I have with Westlaw every time they try to get us back on Westlaw.

6. Nancy Truax says:

One of the things I like most about Lexis over Westlaw is that the public records databases are more robust. The Coast Guard switched over from Lexis to Westlaw a few years back, and locating missing appellate defense clients was suddenly a lot harder.

I’m assuming this switch was based on $$$$ savings and not on users preference (assumption being that the vast majority of users prefer Lexis over Westlaw). Anybody “in the know” have any insight on the reasons for the switch?

8. Comrade Cossio says:

I was under the impression that Lexis is cheaper…..Maybe they got a deal?

Do some legal offices have “Lexis Printers” ? Most Law schools have both Lexis and Westlaw printers.

9. GreenOnions says:

Does Westlaw have a link to LEXIS?

Because otherwise, not really interested.

(Oh, and Army loses LEXIS as of 1 OCT 09)

Will Westlaw now be too big to fail?

11. Capt B says:

The Westlaw cost has half the cost of LEXIS. For those who control the purse-strings, I don’t think it was a very hard decision. Its a hard pill to swallow for those of us who were proficient at navigating LEXIS, but I can say that for the vast majority of judge advocates with whom I served, their level of research will not be affected in the least.

This was a bad call — I do not believe the respective appellate divisions were asked their opinion on this switch. Would have been better to cut a job or two than to switch to West Law.

13. GreenOnions says:

“but I can say that for the vast majority of judge advocates with whom I served, their level of research will not be affected in the least.”

So long as I can still access CAAFlog…