Four female U.S. Senators — Barbara Boxer of California, Barbara Mikulski of Maryland, Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York — have reportedly written to Maj. Gen Anthony Cucolo III asking him to rescind his November general order potentially making pregnancy a UCMJ offense.

According to ABC News, MG Cucolo, in a conference call on the subject, appeared to back away from full implementation of the policy:  “I regret that the term court martial is bandied about or mentioned,” the general said. “I do not ever see myself putting a soldier in jail for this.”

MG Cucolo went on to suggest that the order was intended to serve a prophylactic purpose:  “The true purpose behind this is to cause them to pause and think about, ‘Okay wait a minute. It was written in the order and I’m going to leave my team. I’m going to leave an outfit shorthanded,'” Cucolo said.

13 Responses to “Iraq CG to abort controversial order?”

I am curious what has a greater impact on the war-fighting mission: the concern of women getting pregnant and the men that impregnate them or the amount of time and resources MG Cucolo is now spending responding to the media on his GO 1?

2. Dwight Sullivan says:

And the 2009 award for best use of the word “prophylactic” goes to Judge Mathews the Greatest!

3. Pete says:

What about “the Greatest’s” use of the word “abort”…does that not get a “yeehaw” or “hurray” or whatever the term is?

4. DB Cooper says:

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but who is the SJA for Task Force Marne? Did he/she at least advise the CG that the CG’s GFI would cause more problems than it solved?

5. dreadnaught says:

The term “court martial” is not just bandied about. It is clearly and unambiguously stated paragraph 2. The phrase “may face administrative, nonjudicial or judicial action” clearly indicated the possibility of a court-martial.

Are other portions of the order just included to cause servicemembers to pause and think? Words are important and should only be used if the clear meaning is intended. If portions of the order were intended only as guidance, it is not difficult to make that clear in the order. This new statement by the general only introduces ambiguity about the meaning of his orders. Now we have soilders questioning what the general intended when he issues orders.

KAFFEE: Any chance Kendrick ignored the order?
    JESSEP: Ignored the order?
    KAFFEE: Any chance he just forgot about it?
    JESSEP: No.
    KAFFEE: Any chance Kendrick left your office and said, “The ‘old man’s wrong”?
    JESSEP: No.

6. Cossio says:

Way off-topic but I can’t resist.

In my Civilian life I was a Cable installer. One day last year I had a job where this old Italian guy kept referring to the existing wiring as an “Abortion” (i.e. “This is such an Abortion, the last guy who came here was a butcher”. He said “Abortion” at least a dozen times were I think he was thinking of “abomination”. I couldn’t help my self and was beet red laughing.

His son told me privately that his Dad says crazy s%*! all the time and not to pay any mind to it. I was back at his house two days later to fix his remote that he reprogrammed.

Anyways, back on topic.

I would think that Mrs. “Call me Senator because I’m too ignorant of Military Customs and Courtesies” to refrain from talking to any General for a while.

Boxer is such a joke, I feel sorry that the General has to deal with these Banshees.

Well, the order is still in it’s first trimester.

8. Jonas says:

This Guy is an idiot plain and simple

DB Cooper,

The Stars and Stripes article wrote that JAG had done a legal review and that it passed. An IG also threw in his 2 cents worth and gave his “opinion” that the order was legal.

I would also like to know who the SJA was and who worked for him/her. Could be that the JAG folks said no, it’s not a legal order, but when generals get it in their minds they want to do something, they’ll do it, regardless of what their SJA says. Generals have been known to do that from time to time.

this is a good case of illustrating the concept of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should…”–actually maybe not, since the order can’t be lawful. I think the MG can, and should, forget about ever getting a third star.

10. Anon says:

No sex orders have been around for years without creating a new salient in the culture wars. If the command had just followed time honored military practice of oulawing sexual relations in a deployed environment (instead of using the loaded word “pregnancy”), they wouldn’t be going through the painful gymnastics of having their CG announce in the national media that it is a punitive, general order but I am not really that serious about enforcing it (or words to that effect). What a freaking circus.

Cossio,

By your civilian life, do you mean your life, as in currently and forever after?

12. Cossio says:

Well I finished my degree and I work for the same company only now in the Finance department (I was promoted, now I have my own office). You guys have to remember that I was still in the Military until December of last year, and technically this year as I did not receive my final accounting of pay until about six months ago.

Anon 813,

I gave your comment a “thumbs down” because it seems to play into the myth that a subject of the military justice system could never become a productive member of the larger civilian society.