As NPR reports here, following a meeting with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, Vice President Biden announced that the U.S. will appeal the dismissal of the prosecutoin of four Blackwater security guards arising from the Nisour Square shootings in Baghdad in 2007.  The ruling throwing out the charges in United States v. Slough, which will be published but for which an F. Supp. 2d cite isn’t yet available, is here.

6 Responses to “Vice President Biden announces U.S. will appeal dismissal of Blackwater prosecutions”

1. Anon says:

They couldn’t wait to make this announcement after, or done this before the trip?

It’s obvious this is appeasement. It goes to show you how little these politicians care about the lives of those who have to make real tough decisions.

Their willingness to throw anyone under the bus in the name of political correctness gives me goosebumps.

2. TheBus says:

3. Anon says:

TheBus: Blackwater should never have been there in the first place, they can get thrown under me anytime.

I agree with you, but nevertheless that is a fallacious argument.

The question is whether Biden’s remarks (especially while in Iraq) are proper and indicitive of Political Corectness. I believe they are.

Could you imagine the Haditha CA telling Talabani after a visit to Iraq, “We’re definitely going to Appeal the decision concerning the Haditha case”.

Or do you think US attorneys are beyond the White House’s influence?

In the end I don’t see the Big G being successful after dropping the ball the way they did.

yes, because never before has the government appealed one of their cases being dismissed by a judge.

It MUST be “political correctness,” whatever that is supposed to mean.

I’m a defense hack when it comes to servicemembers.

But for this case, I hope Blackwater burns.

6. anon says:

Just to clear up what seems to be some misconceptions, Blackwater has not been indicted in this case. Anon 1-26 at 1311, your statement is equivalent to saying in the Behenna case I hope the 327th Infantry burns.
    And anon 1-24 at 2101, when was the last time the VPOTUS announced a notice of appeal, particularly where the judge wrote a 91 page opinion trashing the government’s conduct?