Here’s a link to a report that a Marine captain in pretrial confinement at the Quantico brig committed suicide.  I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the report.

14 Responses to “Marine officer in pretrial confinement reportedly kills himself”

1. Southern Defense Counsel says:

I know we have the comment hiding system, but Anon’s comment screams for removal for any number of reasons.

SDC – thanks for censuring satire. Jon Stewart would be proud. You can come out of the closet now.

3. soonergrunt says:

Anon 0631–I never saw the comment to which SDC refers, but this comment is absolutely unprofessional and completely inapproriate.
    What a jackass.

4. Atticus says:

I love the irony in your post, soonergrunt. You call “anon” unprofessional, then you call him a jackass.

As Jon Stewart has pronounced, “Whatever you say, someone is not going to like it.” Let’s not censure what Stewart calls “valid pieces of absurdity.” Anytime someone puts something controversial on this blog, the comment gets deleted. This has become the Hollywood blacklist. I feel like an amicus curiae at a CAAF oral argument.

6. Atticus says:

Viewpoint discrimination is a horrible thing. I will say this, though. I read the initial deleted comment and agree that it was in poor taste. Whatever one’s opinion about the don’t ask don’t tell policy and its apparently imminent demise, it ought not be tied to a joke about someone committing suicide. Just my thoughts.

7. John O'Connor says:

Unless CAAFlog is secretly run by the government (a distinct possibility, I’ll grant), I’m cool with its viewpoint discrimination.

8. Charles Gittins says:

I missed the post that caused the controversy, but Captain Webb was a witness in an Article 32 hearing which was continued a few weeks ago. I can’t comment on why he would choose to commit suicide, but he was about to get outed as lying while testifying under a grant of immunity. In an interesting aside, he also claimed to have been sexually involved with Al Gray, former Commandant of the USMC as well as another USMC General Officer who recently retired. He was on anti-depression meds, so I suspect that the Brig CO may have some ‘splainin to do.

9. Cloudesley Shovell says:

What J’OC said, plus you can always get your own blog. Or, to analogize to newspapers, just because you write a letter to the editors doesn’t mean they have to print it.

I saw the comment SDC refers to, and it was beneath the dignity of any person with a shred of self-respect.

As for whining about blacklisting, get a grip. Any number of commenters post controversial statements or otherwise take issue with posts. It is only those unfortunate few souls who cannot communicate without hurling personal insults, profanity, or other forms of internet poo who run afoul of the admins, and deservedly so.

I saw the comment. It was not only stupid, offensive, and tactless, it wasn’t even funny or clever, which could have redeemed it. Let’s leave jokes about suicide to fifteen year old boys on MySpace – if there was ever a reason to delete a comment, this was it. Let’s move on to other issues.

Ignore the stupid comment. The real news to me is that Marines apparently had placed a witness in pretrial confinement. What’s the story behind that?

12. Anon says:

Anon 1755,

Really? You actually think he was only a witness? Never seen service members who were witnesses in one case while being the accused in their own case?

He was an accused in his own case and had been granted immunity to testify against another officer. The grant of immunity was issued before Webb went to trial, setting up an interesting turn of events and Kastigar issue when he inevitably decided to withdraw from his plea agreement had he not decided to take a different road.

14. Phil Stackhouse says: