Interesting MEJA case out of Guam, see DOJ press release here, not for any scintillating facts, but more so for the use of MEJA in Japan. Most civilain crimes in Japan are prosecuted in Japanese courts. This one I am assuming happened on some exclusive US jurisdiction location or there was an extradition problem.

In any event I thought some of our universal jurisdiction naysayers would find the US Attorney’s comments interesting, “This is proof that no one is beyond the law. MEJA allows us to reach out and prosecute U.S. citizens who commit crimes outside the United States.”

7 Responses to “MEJA Case in Guam”

1. Anon says:

More likely the vic was an AMCIT and the Japanese declined jurisdiction.

2. WarLawyer says:

Subject was civ dependent of active duty as was victim occuring on base housing

3. John O'Connor says:

In my mind, this has little to do with “universal jurisdiction.” Countries have long had the power to prosecute their own citizens. Though the article doesn’t explicitly say it, this guy appears to be a U.S. citizen.

To me, this shows the effectiveness of MEJA as a prosecutorial tool.

4. Westerner says:

Mehejia is bad law and will not hold up to constitutional muster plain and simple.

5. John O'Connor says:

On what basis is MEJA unconstitutional? I can’t think of one.

6. John Harwood says:

From my tour in Japan, it was common that if both the victim and perpetrator were military members/dependents, the Japanese wouldn’t prosecute the cases, especially if the offense occurred on base.

7. Chris Thielemann says:

The accused was a NAF employee, and the victim was his dependent. They lived off base and the Japanese had no visibility on the case. His initial appearance hearing and extradition proceeding were held on Camp Foster with an assigned qualified military counsel permitted by 18 USC 32613(c)(1).