Like so many other high profile cases, every move in the court martial of Major Nadal Hasan makes news.  Here is a link to WaPo coverage of Maj. Hasan’s move from a hospital bed to the comforts of pre-trial confinement at the Bell County jail.  Here is a local report on the contract between Ft. Hood and Bell County that will cost the Army $200,000 to house Maj. Hasan for the next year.  Hopefully the contract has standard provisions for extensions or option years because one year likely won’t be enough time to get this done if past military captial cases are any guide.

Hasan’s attorney had objections to the contract and other preparations for the trial, see another local story here

Maybe I am slow [insert JO’C punchline], but does this mean Ft. Hood doesn’t have a brig?  The base with the largest armored divisions in the military doesn’t have a jail?

17 Responses to “All Things US v. Hasan”

1. anonymous says:

no brig…civilian PTC is the standard at Bell County…maybe the one thing here that is normal.

2. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Who knew . . . obviously not me. Thanks Anon–if that’s really your name.

3. Jason Grover says:

No Man, you fail to ask the next logical question, at least to me. Any Army lurkers out there that can give us an idea of how many folks are in PTC at a given time in Bell County for the Army? I would think, based on the size of the installation, that there may be 15-20 at any given time. Is the lack of a brig a discouragement to local commander’s throwing minor cases in the brig. I know in Europe, Navy commanders were unlikely to use pretrial confinement except in the most severe cases because it involved using the Army brig in Germany. It just wasn’t worth the effort. A boon to SJAs and TCs as much as to DCs in many cases. . . .

4. jack says:

PTC is rare in the Army, too. I can’t speak for Hood, but at my comparably large installation, you’re looking at between 0-6 people in PTC at any given time. It’s a real hassle for the unit to put guys in PTC, since they still have to shuttle them around to doctor’s appointments (which mysteriously crop up a lot), other appointments, etc. And, like Hood, we contract with a local jail. As far as I know, all our jailors are at Leavenworth (but I don’t know much).

5. John O'Connor says:

Don’t they have a tent and concertina wire at Fort Hood?

6. Jason Grover says:

Jack, I think there are Army facilities in Fort Lewis, Fort Knox, Fort Carson, Fort Sill, Korea, and Germany as well as Leavenworth. Any other Army folks out there, can you correct me or expand?

7. Late Bloomer says:

Looks like the Gyrenes (and perhaps the Zoomies) are the ones who like to lock ’em up.

To piggy-back onto Jason Grover’s question. I wonder if the contract with Bell County is on a per capita basis, a flat rate, or something else. If it’s per capita, then I’d say that is definitely a disincentive to PTC.

On a different note, I wonder if selective unmasking would violate Article 13, UCMJ.

8. Ama Goste says:

The PTC costs are usually per capita. A huge disincentive to PTC when the base doesn’t have a facility and is forced to contract with the local civilian jail is that the costs of the PTC are taken from the unit’s O&M funds, adding insult to injury for the commander. There are also requirements for the unit to visit the confinee on a regular basis, requiring additional manhours.

9. Some Navy Guy says:

PTC is pretty rare for us also. We have a fully functioning brig on base and today it has TWO people post-trial and ZERO pre-trial. Though if you shut down a brig mil jus often tanks b/c not only is pre-trial a hassle but so is post-trial. When I started everyone seemed to be in PTC.

10. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Some Navy Guy and Grover:
    So has the Norfolk Brig changed from the place it was when I was a TC/SJA in Norfolk? It routinely was a dumping grounds for all the no-loads that were pending court-martial (Marine and more so Navy) when the ships went out on deployment/exercises. I can see how that might have changed with the incredibly high OPTEMPO these days.

11. Former Hoodie says:

From my time at Hood, it was an ongoing contract with Bell County Jail, not based per capita. There is a seperate military holding area and usually had around 15-20 SMs in the facility, which is used for Post trial of 30 days or less and PTC.

I was told that all the requirements/staffing/resources required to maintain a confinement faciltiy were outweighed by the cost effectiveness of “renting” space from the county jail. But frankly if not having a colocated brig/facility is “tanking” mil jus because of the hassle, then you need to motivate commands.

12. Thomas F. Hurley says:

I had a couple of clients in Bell Country Jail. It is a hell-hole. Going there (and being allowed to leave) was always a “real treat.”

The only CONUS Army installations with on-post Pre-Trial Confinement are those with confinement facilities (Lewis, Sill, Knox, Leavenworth). It was great. You knew your client would be treated right, and you knew he would have plenty of time to “assist with his defense.”

13. JimmyMac says:

Curious that defense counsel representing clients in the “hell-hole” don’t bring illegal PTC motions for those conditions. Routine for Navy MJ’s to grant such motions when sailors are in PTC in civilian jails under contract to Navy. DC need only establish that the conditions don’t meet Navy (or Federal Bureau of Prisons) standards. Routine for MJ to grant 10, 20, or even 30 to one day-for-day sentence credit.

14. anonymous says:

who cares?

15. Anon says:

“He was shot by civilian police, leaving him paralyzed.”

If he gets whacked while in PTC, it won’t be the Army’s fault. There’s a lot of empty beds and a brand new medical facility at GTMO, plus a court room!

16. Jason Grover says:

No Man,
    I haven’t gotten to visit it yet, but we generally don’t have more than a handful in PTC. At least not since I’ve been here.

FYI, it is closing soon and a new consolidated one is being built in Cheaspeake. I believe Camp Lejeune and Quantico’s are also closing and their folks will be housed in Cheaspeake as well.

17. Snuffy says:

Motions are routine. Relief, however is very unusual. Sometimes conditions are reasonably egregious, but the Army does not really seem too concerned.