WorldNetDaily (a guano crazy web site, but well-connected to break news concerning the Lakin case) reports here that Army LTC Terrence Lakin, who has stated his intent to disobey orders unless he sees evidence to his satisfaction that President Obama was a natural born U.S. citizen, has been issued this Developmental Counseling Form.  The form reads:

On 30 March 2010, this command became aware of your intentions to refuse to follow deployment orders.  Your stated reason for refusal was your belief that the election of the President of the United States is invalid because you believe he is not “native born”.  This counseling is to inform you that your deployment orders are presumed to be valid and lawful orders issued by competent military authority.  You are reminded of your duty to obey those lawful orders and to report to Ft Campbell, KY on 12 April 2010 in order to deploy with your unit.  Failure to follow your reassignment and/or deployment orders may result in adverse action including court-martial.  Should you fail to report to Fort Campbell in accordance with your orders and deploy, your actions may constitute a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  Specifically, your actions may constitute the offenses of AWOL (Article 86, UCMJ), Missing Movement (Article 87, UCMJ), Willfully Disobeying a Lawful Order (Article 90, UCMJ) and/or Contempt Toward Officials (Article 88, UCMJ).  If found guilty at a court-martial, you could be sentenced to dismissal from the service, which is akin to a dishonorable discharge; forfeiture of all pay and allowances; and confinement for a period of months or years in a military prison.  Involuntary administrative separation proceedings could result in you being discharged with a general under honorable conditions or under other than honorable conditions discharge.  This may severely prejudice you in civilian life and could deprive you of many or all of the benefits administered by the Department of the Army and the Department of Veterans Affairs.

I encourage you to seek advice from an attorney with the US Army Trial Defense Service before embarking on a course of conduct which you may quickly regret.  If you wish to seek advice from a military attorney, let me know and I will arrange for you to speak with a defense counsel.

And here’s a link to the Army Times‘ coverage of LTC Lakin.

26 Responses to “Birther Army LTC doctor reportedly issued counseling form concerning his stated intention to disobey orders”

The stupid, it burns.

2. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

While I feel cheated out of the 5 minutes it took to read that article, I now know the difference between crazy and guano crazy. Crazy is citing a news story as authority for a legal argument. Guano crazy is citing comments in a web news story as authority for your argument.

3. John O'Connor says:

Wow, that’s cool. Soldiers thinking about violating the UCMJ at some point in the future get a right to consult with military defense counsel first.

Who said it’s a right? Nothing wrong with a CO trying to prevent his soldier from committing a crime.

5. John O'Connor says:

Settle down, Francis, it’s a joke.

Though if I have a piece of paper in my pocket from the CO saying I get to consult with a DC, I start to think I’ve got a right to do so.

It’s lighten up Francis. At least you got his name right.

I’d leave a comment here, but I can’t until I’m completely sure that President Obama is a natural-born citizen.

I’m sorry.

…and yet you had no qualms when a dead admiral’s blog post was used in a law review article, did ya Mike?

I’m with DS, at least Wing-Nut-Daily has original stories.

9. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Hold on a second there Skippy. Who said I had no problems with citation in a legal journal to a comment on CAAFlog? While citing a post on CAAFlog should be considered the gold standard for modern miljus citation, eg our posts on why do law schools produce so many graduates or weather and taxes, comments on this blog are so frequently unscholarly that it is scary, eg any post of a former CAAFlog frequent commenter who we’ll refer to as Voldemort. Now sir CS’s comments may be an exception that proves the rule as they are always some scholarly s+#t!

10. John O'Connor says:

I’m aware of the quote from Stripes, but I wasn’t quoting Stripes. A quick Google search shows 80,100 hits for the exact phrase “settle down Francis,” so I wasn’t exactly breaking new ground in telling Francis to settle down.

You weren’t quoting Stripes? So why did you call him Francis? Did you just assume that’s his name?

Screwing up a quote from even such a classic as Stripes is completely forgiveable. But then lying about it? Odd.

13. John O'Connor says:

I wasn’t trying to quote Stripes or any movie. It’s a phrase I have used here and there and, judging from my five-second Google search, one that about 80,000 other people use as well. Why the phrase uses “Francis” I don’t know. Maybe its genesis comes from the Stripes quote, but I don’t know because I didn’t make the phrase up.

14. Ernesto says:

Wow. Is that one of Lakin’s fellow birthers, or a number of them, that are so caught up in the Francis quote? The point of this post, I think, is that it’s time for LTC Lakin to put up or shut up – by 12 Apr.

To further indict Mr. O’Connor, he in fact, without any legal justification, confused and combined, “Settle down Beavis,” with “Lighten up Francis.”

So not only did he insult “Stripes,” but he insulted “Beavis and Butthead” as well. That is even more unforgivable.

Yes, birthers are traditionally big fans of stripes and beavis and butthead.

17. Anon says:

At this point, I can’t continue to follow any orders until John O’Connor proves that he didn’t misspeak on the Settle Down quote.

I respect the Constitution that much.

18. J'CO says:

I’m aware of the quote from Stripes, I just intentionally misquoted it because I also use a nearly-identical yet unrelated saying to convey the same message. Duh.

19. Socrates says:

Just out of curiosity and to close the loop on this matter, could CAAFlog please publish a link to a copy of President Obama’s birth certificate.

20. Cloudesley Shovell says:

Never have I been so undeserving of such high praise.

Yrs very humbly,
    CS

21. Phil Cave says:

Wrong character:

I don’t know what kind of soldier I’m gonna make, but I want you guys to know that if we ever get into really heavy combat… I’ll be right behind you guys. Every step of the way.

22. Cap'n Crunch says:

Good on the CO for not just dropping the hammer. Perhaps the LTC will consult with TDS, who hopefully with advise him that his course of action is a really, really, really bad idea, and that, like New, it is just not going to end well.

I might even try to appeal to his logic and say, even if you are right, your oath, the constitution, and law legally passed by Congress requires you to follow the orders of those appointed over you, and your CO, his CO, his CO’s CO, they are all duly appointed according to law and the constitution, even if we assume for the sake of argument that you are correct that the President is not duly appointed, and they all gave you lawful orders, so deploy.

and I’d guess that the higher up the chain you go the more likely that those officers were appointed by President Bush, so you can appeal to his clear lack of a need to “validate” his credentials.

24. JimmyMac says:

Actually this could go very well for the good doctor. He graciously accepts his Letter of Reprimand at NJP and promptly tenders his resignation which is quickly approved by the Secretary. He packs his black bag and heads out the front gate to make a “gazillion” dollars practicing medicine in the civilian community. Everybody saves face, everybody “wins”. What you say? Bad precedent? Please….done more times than you can shake a birth certificate at!

25. Dwight Sullivan says:

From the coverage, it looks like LTC Lakin has 18 years in. Walking out without a retirement at this point would seem to be a serious punishment.

26. Craig Manson says:

The Army Times article says that Lakin “is due to be promoted to colonel.” Although it’s not clear what the reporter meant by “due to be promoted,” my question is whether LTC Lakin would accept a presidential appointment to a higher grade under the circumstances?