The Bluebook‘s web page reports here that the 19th edition will be released on 1 June.  I may have to camp out in front of Washington Law Books the night of 31 May.

8 Responses to “New edition of the Bluebook to be released 1 June”

1. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

I can just picture it now, CAAFlog, Fulton and Bryan Garner hanging out at a Capitol Hill Starbucks drinking mocha lattes and sweating their ars*s off in DC in June–though for some reason I bet BG gets an advance copy and doesn’t mingle with the masses at the local B&N anymore.

2. jerk says:

before updating most JAGs on Bluebook intricacies they should bone up on basic writing skills, no?

3. John O'Connor says:

The cool kids in private firms tell young associates not to worry about perfect bluebooking . . . which is uncommonly bad advice.

No such thing as perfect bluebooking.

5. Some Army Guy says:

In the 21st century the Bluebook is an obsolete waste of time, energy, and resources.^1

1 Opinion based upon the author’s observations after time in private practice, in federal court practice, and in the Army.

6. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

I would agree with JO’C, uncommonly bad advice for litigators, with one caveat. If the piece of writing isn’t going outside the law firm, particularly beyond the person for whom you are writing it, I am a big fan of having the cites A-OK without the Bluebooking being Garenerian perfect.

7. Socrates says:

It is well-settled that “(t)he Bluebook is for schoolmarmish lawyers with borderline obsessive-compulsive disorder to make snide ‘gotcha’ (sic) points.” Plato, quoted by Aristotle, in “Who’s Yo Philosofa, Beeatch,” 7th Ed., Tr. by J. Jamison, Simon and Schuster, 400 B.C., p. 17.

8. You May Have My Copy says:

To those lawyers who Bluebook every citation
    Please, PLEASE, come practice trial litigation
    As you pen learned tomes, motions, and edicts
    The odds increase that I’ll win more verdicts
    ‘Cause ‘though my legal skills are quite narrow
    Next to you, I’m Clarence Darrow