Rep. Tom Rooney (R.-Fla.), a member of both HASC and the House Judiciary Committee, and a former Army JAG Corps officer and member of the West Point faculty’s law department,  has issued this statement calling for the charges to be dropped in the McCabe case.

12 Responses to “Rep. Tom Rooney calls for dropping prosecution of SO2 McCabe”

1. Say again? says:

“I’m pleased that a Navy jury found Petty Officer Huertas not guilty, and I hope military prosecutors will now drop the remaining charges against our war fighters.”

I guess the Honorable Mr. Rooney didn’t learn about the role of the convening authority in his four years as an Army JAG. Apparently, however, he did learn how to score points with simplistic sound bites that lower the collective IQ of the body politic.

2. comic book guy says:

worst. faculty. hiring. committee. ever.

3. Think again says:

I always enjoy listening to the propaganda from JAGs that pretend that the court-martial process is all the CA’s doing.

I will not speculate on the “advice” that was given from the General’s legal officers in this case, but I am sure if the SJA tells the General that he should strongly consider dropping the last charge the General will give it some thought.

Unit Commanders have it worse, and will often be bullied (told) by their superiors what action to take.

With respect, maybe you have it wrong. It isn’t like Tom is an old guy either, he is rather young, take a look at his bio, his resume dwarfs anything your meager career has ever accomplished. Oh, and apparently his wife was a JAG as well:

——————-

Biography

Tom Rooney was raised in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Following high school, Tom went on to play college football at Syracuse University and Washington and Jefferson College. After receiving his BA in English Literature, Tom worked for Senator Connie Mack in Washington, DC.

Tom returned home to Florida to attend the University of Florida where he received a Masters Degree and the University of Miami, School of Law where he earned his J.D. and met his wife Tara.

After graduation, Tom and Tara spent over four years in the United States Army JAG Corps. Most notably he served as Special Assistant U.S. Attorney on Fort Hood, TX prosecuting all civilian crimes on post. In 2002, Tom was selected to teach Constitutional and Criminal Law at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

In 2004, Tom returned to Florida and went to work as an Assistant Attorney General under Charlie Crist. After leaving the Attorney General’s office, Tom became CEO of “The Children’s Place at Home Safe,” a home for abused and neglected children. Tom was later appointed by Governor Bush to the Children’s Services Council of Palm Beach County Board of Directors. In 2006, Tom entered private practice and joined a Stuart law firm.

On November 4th 2008, Tom was elected to represent Florida’s 16th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives. Tom currently serves on the House Armed Services Committee and the Judiciary Committee.

Tom and Tara currently reside in Tequesta and with their three young sons: Tommy Jr., Sean, and Seamus.

4. Think twice says:

You know, come to think about it, you may be right – I don’t think Mr. Rooney learned anything in the JAG corps, take this statement:

“Let’s stop the insanity. These men are warriors handling a mass murdering terrorist,” Rooney said. “We should give them the support they need to complete their dangerous missions, not court-martial them based on flimsy evidence. This sends exactly the wrong message to the men and women who are protecting Americans from al Qaeda and the Taliban.”

A seasoned JAG officer would have said something along the lines of “It’s not okay for police to beat-up criminal defendants, so we shouldn’t do the same with terrorist who blow themselves up when captured (because in their minds the war on terrorism is a police action, terrorists are equivalent to a shoplifter).

Yes, one could make the argument that he didn’t “learn” his role in the four years as a JAG:

-Tell the CA where to sign

-Toe the line “it’s a command (our command) driven process”

-Blame the CA/Jury Pool/Someone else when a case doesn’t go your way

-If all else fails point the finger at your predecessor or someone who recently PCS’d/retired/left AD

5. A seasoned AF JAG officer? says:

In the AF, we just blame the NAF…

6. Anon says:

So I guess in your analysis, a four year SAUSA veteran knows more about what is in the best interest of good order and discipline of his unit than a SF Major General.

7. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Think again:
    Good commanders take their MilJus responsibility seriously, consider the advice of their lawyer, and then make decisions based on all the principles of leadership learned and reinforced throughout their career–end of story. While some commanders may allow other improper or irrelevant considerations to factor into their decision (I’ll note that I have never worked for such a commander) the good ones don’t. My Commodores both took their jobs seriously and took my advice seriously. I can remember one case in particular that I spent hours with my Commodore talking about the particular sailor and whether referring charges was the right action. Ultimately he did and she pled guilty. I heard that after I PCS’d he essentially set aside the court martial entirely during clemency. I have no doubt that he was in charge of the process and viewed MilJus as much a part of his job as a leader as ensuring every destroyer and frigate on the Norfolk waterfront was mission capable and ready to deploy.

MG Cleveland’s limited statements and actions that we have seen show me that he similarly takes his job seriously. And his bio is far more impressive than mine or Rep. Toomey’s.

On another note, I hope that SO2 Keefe and SO1 Huertas live up to the trust that the members put in them and provide service to our country. Their limited bios show that they have that capacity. And maybe, just maybe, if they have the right attitude, this process has shown them the values beyond just being a good special operator that are important to good leaders.

8. Bill C says:

The big difference I have noted between the USN and the AF ar Army is that the USN typically has junior JA’s advising the commander, and they don’t really “advise” as much as lay out the options and let the commander decide. Granted, my experience with the USN is limited, but when an Army or AF TC/SJA tells me something, I can usually bank on it. Not so in the Navy. Hence, I have seen some very poor (IMHO) preferrals in the USN that likely I would not see in the other services.

We see it all the time – people who have worked for years in the JAG Corps, even retired Generals/Admirals, go on to life after their military careers and quickly seem to lose all grasp with the realities of the military justice system. Thsi guy just needs to shut his yap and go back to work.

10. Think twice says:

Of course…forgot the NAF. Good one, you really are a seasoned JAG.

11. Think twice says:

Well, look at it this way, he was probably speaking in generalities, his constituants would not know the relationship between CA/Prosecutor.

And yes, sometimes a four-year anybody would know better.

You are making a fallacious argument, I can probably find a dozen Major Generals or above that would agree with Mr. Rooney.

Your argument is void for hypocrisy.

12. Fitzcarraldo says:

The bio doesn’t include the most interesting factoid on Rooney: he’s a grandson of Art Rooney, the founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers.