In a court-martial that has featured testimony about whether a suspected Afghan insurgent was dead or almost dead, closing arguments are scheduled to begin July 7 as Capt. Robert Semrau and the rest of the court return to Canada. As the Montreal Gazette reports here, the court “decamped” (what a great word that has fallen into disuse) to Afghanistan to hear testimony from Afghan nationals and others at a “courtroom” in Kandahar. On Friday the government rested and the defense chose not to call any witnesses. See our prior coverage here and here.

7 Responses to “Closing Arguments Scheduled in Almost Dead Afghan Killing”

1. RY says:

This brings to mind a clip from the Princess Bride. I think the phrase they used was “mostly dead.”

2. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Good to see CAAFlog readers are alert this AM. That was generally what I was going for, but mostly dead seemed not to fit. Almost dead seemed more appropriate, but you still got the reference. Miracle Max described “mostly dead” as, “MM: It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there’s usually only one thing you can do. The Spainard: What’s that?
    MM: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.”

Mostly Dead? No, ‘E’s just sleepin’. He’s pining for the Fjords.

That Sir, is an ex-insurgent. He’s bleedin’ demised.

4. Cheap Seats says:

I was thinking more along the lines of Monty Python…”Bring out your dead!”…”I’m not dead.”

5. soonergrunt says:

this is just wrong on so many levels.
    But it’s funny, so that’s OK.

6. Cheap Seats says:

I guess death is much funnier to talk about than birth…(er) :)

7. soonergrunt says:

I guess death is much funnier to talk about than birth…(er)

groan