Much attention has been paid recently to the way in which the military provides defense services.  Last Thursday, the Navy JAG Corps’ leadership announced a reorganization of the Naval Legal Service Command, with separate Deputy Commanders being appointed for the prosecution function and the defense function.  The reorganization announcement is available here.

16 Responses to “NLSO reorganization”

1. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

I see lots of logic in creating a separate chain of command for defense counsel within the NLSC structure. But why do you need another admiral for the RLSOs and prosecution function? There really is no such thing as the prosecution function within the NLSC. NLSC is a force provider to convening authorities, much like the CNO and Chiefs of Staff provide manpower to the CoComms. Isn’t creating a Chief of the RLSOs in NLSC like creating a Commander of OEF forces on the OPNAV staff? Nice title, no real authority? TCAP and DCAP continue to serve a useful function, but in this time of fiscal austerity, do we really need another management layer because CAs aren’t getting adequate resources on their own?

2. Charles Gittins says:

Just another excuse to create a Flag billet. Grade creep is alive and well.

3. anon says:

There is no extra flag billet associated with this reorganization

4. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

So the Deputy CDR won’t be a tombstone flag? I stand corrected on the statement about an admiral.

5. Ryan says:

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I don’t see them having created another layer for the RLSO. RLSO’s always fell under Vice Commander, NLSC. All they did was change the name of that position, and make NLSO not fall under that person. The only extra body filling a billet is Capt Fischer-Anderson as DC-NLSO, and since NLSO doesn’t fall under the former Vice Commander NLSC anymore, they have the same number of layers as they had before as well.

Old RLSO chain = JAG -> CDR NLSC -> VCDR NLSC -> Individual RLSO CO’s
    New RLSO chain = JAG -> CDR NLSC -> DCDR RLSOs -> Individual RLSO CO’s

Old NLSO chain = JAG -> CDR NLSC -> VCDR NLSC -> Individual NLSO CO’s
    New RLSO chain = JAG -> CDR NLSC -> DCDR NLSOs -> Individual NLSO CO’s

As for the “flag” talk, are these tombstone billets?

6. Ryan says:

I take back the flag question. “No Man” beat me to the question while I was typing / reading the notice.

7. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Nothing against you personally Ryan, but it is this kind of thinking that causes the government to continuously expand. When this proposal was developed, why not just eliminate the RLSO deputy? Do the RLSOs really need a deputy? Aren’t most of them headed by O-6s that are assigned to major commands that convene most of the regional courts-martial? The purpose, or at least I hope one purpose, of the NLSO Deputy is a level of independence that doesn’t seem to be an issue for the RLSO. The HQ litigation reach back is TCAP. Why do you need more?

8. Dr. Horrible says:

As a middle manager in a NLSC command, I see more “data calls” in my future!

And, I am not quite sure how this new position will contribute to the overall effectiveness of an average NLSO/RLSO. Seems to be ill-advised in the midst of the downsizing, trimming, freezing military environment in which we find ourselves.

Another question:
    How intrusive will DCAP and TCAP be in the day-day operations of our MILJUS lives?

9. Anon says:

One word: Japan. Norfolk’s fiasco of the MJ sentencing the officer at spcm to confinement didn’t help. As someone living through it right now I see more random useless data calls but TCAP and DCAP will be helpful. On a day to day basis neither super CO will be involved in military justice that much.

I see this as an interim reorganizational step on the way to a pure Defense Command. After first bringing the Defense Counsel Assistance Program under DCOM NLSO, the next phase will extract all defense counsel into detachments of that defense command.

Though we tried the Defense Command project a few years ago and abandoned it, budget realities have made it seem more appealing because of the billets and infrastructure that can be saved and because of the continuing reductions in caseloads.

11. Presley O'Bannon says:

Defense independence is a good thing, so any reorg with that goal in mind can only benefit miljus.

I hope this also prompts a second look at the structure of appellate defense, and the current system of having appellate defense counsel and appellate government counsel both reporting to the 02.

The 02 is an admin billet. A DJAG billet. Who else would they report to? A new DJAG for Defense?

13. Presley O'Bannon says:

How about the CDC of the Marine Corps?

14. Dr. Horrible says:

While the Super COs may not get into the weeds and minutae of each case, I can easily see DCAP and TCAP becoming quite intrusive. In fact, the OJAG announcement mentions that “the directors for TCAP and DCAP will assist Deputy Commanders and provide support and resources directly to NLSC commands and personnel tailored for their specific litigation functions.”

That last line begs the question: why, then, the MJLQ track? I don’t know of any recent case in our AOR where we needed outside interfence/guidance. We have MJLQ folks in place, and it seems to be working just fine.

And, I don’t see how TCAP/DCAP would have prevented the debacle in Japan or the snafu in the officer SPCM in Norfolk.

15. Dr. Horrible says:

I definitely think that this is where we are headed…especially considering some of the recent OJAG taskers that are seeking clarity on our manning strength.

16. I cannot stand it says:

The RLSO concept was doomed to fail. The situation in Japan was predictable The CO, XO, Dept Head and TC all on the same file trying to accomplkish dfferent things for different interests for different reasons yet all in the same reportiung chain of command.Everyone conflicted from helping anyone. They just kept passing that revolver in a game of JAG Corps Roulette