According to the former official Lakinista website, there were be an Article 39(a) session at noon tomorrow to address LTC Lakin’s change of counsel.  The Article 39(a) session will be held at Fort McNair.

h/t Phil “My Liege” Cave’s Court-Martial Trial Practice blog

11 Responses to “Lakin Article 39(a) tomorrow”

1. soonergrunt says:

So this is a hearing of some type? Any idea what will be discussed, and whether or not LTC Lakin will enter a plea to the charges?

2. Dwight Sullivan says:

soonergrunt,

safeguardourconstitution indicates that tomorrow’s proceeding “will address LTC Lakin’s change of counsel and should be only a brief session.” My guess is that the military judge will authorize Mr. Jensen to withdraw from the case and acknowledge entry of appearance by LTC Lakin’s new counsel. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s also discussion of whether the trial schedule should be adjusted in light of the counsel change.

3. soonergrunt says:

So this is fairly routine stuff*, given the change of counsel, then?

*In as much as anything associated with this case could be routine, that is.
    Somebody said, and I don’t know who or when or where, or even if it was a real person and not a character in a novel or a movie, that the problem with famous, high profile cases is that the laymen watching them get a distorted version of what actually happens in a criminal case.

4. Dwight Sullivan says:

Actually, the Lakin case is pretty typical for a YouTube-“I invite my own court-martial”-field-grade-officer-birther case in which the accused gets crushed at a couple of Article 39(a) sessions and then changes counsel in mid-stream.

5. soonergrunt says:

Actually, the Lakin case is pretty typical for a YouTube-”I invite my own court-martial”-field-grade-officer-birther case in which the accused gets crushed at a couple of Article 39(a) sessions and then changes counsel in mid-stream.

{chuckle} You get a lot those, do you?

6. Norbrook says:

Modern technology has made things so much more efficient these days. Why, back in the day, you used to have to film your “I invite my court-martial,” and make a lot of copies to distribute to people with film projectors to do it. It was expensive! That’s besides the time and expense of printing and mailing out your fund-raising flyers. It used to take years for the guano crazies to hear the “message.” By which time, the court-martial and appeals would be over, with the idiot having served their time and long since been booted out. It was a simpler time. (sigh)

7. sg says:

And now, thanks to the internet, a crazy person can rally other like-minded crazy people all over the world in a matter of minutes!
    Ahh, the times in which we live! It’s progress, man.
    “Oh, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow! Right behind the end of every day…”

8. Christopher Mathews says:

Boy, if I had a dime for every case like that …

9. Ama Goste says:

You’d need to borrow $ from Lakin?

10. Snuffy says:

Let me tell you, back in the day when I was trying 20 or 30 cases a week, when an accused wanted to invite his own court martial he had to send written invitations via the U.S. postal service- and we were damn glad to have it. Even if the CG’s aide had to walk uphill (both ways) to the mailbox. Those were the days, believe you me. This whole new-fangled internet thingy is just crazy.

11. Not a zombie says:

Don’t be a zombie Lakin haters: http://victorhanson.com/articles/thornton101310.html