There is now a weird disconnect between the announced legal strategy of LTC Lakin’s lawyers and the communications strategy of his supporters. As we discussed here, LTC Lakin’s new counsel –Neal Puckett — has eschewed a birther defense. It also appears that LTC Lakin’s new defense team allowed the 20-day deadline to pass without filing a writ appeal challenging ACCA’s denial of the birther petition for extraordinary relief filed by LTC Lakin’s previous counsel, Paul Rolf Jensen. But LTC Lakin’s brother Dr. Greg Lakin — a doctor and lawyer — apparently didn’t get the memo, as reflected by his comments on this radio interview. Nor, apparently, has that memo about LTC Lakin’s new defense strategy reached safeguardourconstitution.com, which served as LTC Lakin’s official website and claims to still be involved in his communication strategy. That website’s latest gambit is to call on LTC Lakin’s supporters to lobby Congress to thwart his prosecution in what it has dubbed “Terry Lakin Action Week.”
LTC Lakin doesn’t seem to have much leverage in seeking a PTA that could limit some portion of a potential sentence. As I’ve discussed before, his court-martial panel will probably be made up of bird colonels, and it’s probably worth something to the CA to agree to a deal for a judge-alone trial, since that would spare those colonels from having to be away from their normal duties for a couple of days. But I would think that whatever chance there might be of obtaining a PTA will be diminished by “Terry Lakin Action Week,” which suggests that LTC Lakin has not abandoned his grossly insubordinate effort to make the duly certified and sworn President of the United States prove his bona fides to LTC Lakin’s satisfaction. The prosecution surely would never seek to introduce something like “Terry Lakin Action Week” into evidence in aggravation — the prosecution has thus far been commendably conservative in the charges it has brought and its response to potential pitfalls. But moves like “Terry Lakin Action Week” can — and probably will — influence the convening authority’s highly discretionary decision whether to accept any pretrial agreement that LTC Lakin and his counsel may choose to put on the table.
Here’s the game plan as announced by safeguardourconstitution.com:
On December 14, Army officer LTC Terry Lakin will be appearing in a courtroom at Fort Meade, Maryland- for the court-martial he invited by disobeying military orders in pursuit of the truth about Obama’s Constitutional eligibility under Article II, Section 1, requiring the President and Commander-in-Chief be a “natural born” citizen. LTC Lakin tried many times, without success, through his chains of command, to seek an answer to his nagging question- is Barack Obama legally, Constitutionally eligible, to serve as head of the U.S. Armed Forces?
With Congress back for the “lame duck” session we are urging Terry’s advocates to make calls to Capitol Hill- and to newly elected Members of Congress- during the week of Nov 15-19 to urge them to speak up for LTC Lakin and to provide feedback on the response to those calls. Remember that the U.S. Congress works for you- and that Members have a certain obligation to respond to constituent inquiries- but please be polite and respectful in advancing your point of view.
The Capitol Switchboard is 202/225-3121 and the Senate is 202/224-3121. You may reach any House or Senate office through these telephone numbers. The internet addresses are as follows: www.house.gov and www.senate.gov
The webiste offers these talking points:
- Ask to speak to the legislative assistant who handles defense issues. If unavailable, ask to speak to the legislative staffer who handles the Judiciary Committee and Constitutional issues. Avoid speaking to the receptionist, as this person generally is a junior staffer and does not have legislative responsibilities. Please be sure to take down the name of the Congressional staffer and keep notes on the content of your conversation.
- Ask if the Congressman or Senator believes that a decorated military officer should face jail time for upholding his sworn oath to the Constitution- and for seeking assurance that his military orders were legal– issued by a lawful Commander-in-Chief, when a copy of Barack Obama’s original birth certificate would cost less than $20 to obtain?
- (Keep in mind that the Obama online Certification of Live Birth which appeared on some websites in 2008 is NOT an original birth certificate- it is a laser-printed, computer generated document- the original 1961 birth filing– which produced the two newspapers announcements in Hawaiian papers, remains concealed at Barack Obama’s directive). Also remember that the State of Hawaii has never claimed that the Certification of Live Birth is a state-issued document. Realize most Members of Congress who’ve answered letters on the eligibility issue believe Obama was “natural born” because they believed he was born in Hawaii- therefore, press them on this next question:
- Why has no hospital in Hawaiil claimed to be the birthplace of Obama and why were two hospital names given out to the press (first, Queens Medical Center and then Kapi’olani)?- and why has no doctor or midwife’s name been identified by any Obama spokesman? What possible explanation could be there be for the lack of a hospital name or attending physician- two standard data points common to original birth certificates?
- Finally, ask if the Congressman is willing to speak up to and demand Obama act to avert a possible jail sentence for LTC Lakin for staying true to his sworn oath and for doing his duty- to uphold the U.S. Constitution. (and remember, ALL Members of Congress also take an oath to support the U.S. Constitution).