Here’s a link to an AP report, courtesy of the Air Force Times.

12 Responses to “Hasan IO reportedly recommends capital court-martial”

1. Phil Stackhouse says:

So – I saw last week Dwight posted that the hearing was reconvening on Monday…and Colonel Pohl files his report recommending a capital referral on Tuesday. I wonder if he only used the 2-inch block for remarks.

2. Ama Goste says:

Phil, the IO did have about 3 weeks in between the end of government testimony at the 32 and Monday’s 5 minute reconvening.

3. Phil Stackhouse says:

I know. It’s just the appearance of it all. Like he couldn’t have taken a week.

4. Ama Goste says:

Quite true.

Odd to hear a defense counsel complaining that the 32 Officer was too efficient.

6. Phil Stackhouse says:

Efficient doesn’t equal fair, the appearance of fairness, or blah, blah, blah. I’m sure Col Pohl could have written the report based upon the documents he was provided to prepare to serve as the investigating officer – but that doesn’t mean he should do it. It was just on observation – I guess we should be happy he waited till he closed the investigation to file the report.

Regardless – tough case for everyone. I expect when it gets to the General, he will refer it capital.

Let’s hope so.

8. who's your daddy says:

I’m anti-death penalty for religious and practical reasons, but given the law and the facts of this case, it appears to be a slam dunk. So much so, that there is something to be said from a law and order viewpoint that mass murder motivated by exteemism and sympathy for our nation’s enemy – should indeed be met with swift justice. I’m just making the argument. My personal opinion is that the solemn decision of when life begins and ends should be left to our creator – not man. My argument separates my personal views from the law and facts – as i understand them.

Anon 834, that’s glib but you know if folks in the system would at least consider how things looked, why would that be a bad thing?

And if in taking that extra time, he gave it one more think-through, then so much the better. And then if it was still a capital referral recommendation, then so be it.

I’m against it for a whole plethora of reasons, but I can certainly understand why this would be a situation when reasonable minds can differ.

I personally think no one does this without having some mental health issues. I’m not saying he’s insane, or necessarily even severely mentally ill (although, he is a psychologist, so…)

But still, I don’t believe in the death penalty for him or anyone else, but I certainly understand why, in this case, others would, what he did pretty much strains rational understanding and would make any feeling person beyond angry.

11. Christopher Mathews says:

As an outsider looking in, it’s very hard to find fault with the recommendation.

If the evidence was as clear as it seems to be, I wouldn’t have counseled taking more time just for appearances’ sake. This is a case where anyone who disapproves of the substance of the recommendation would be unmoved by the fact that arriving at it took several days.

12. mikeyes says:

This is not directly pertinent, but Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO)is now demanding that the official report on the killings include a section on “Radical Islam” and the part that it took in these 13 murders. (http://coffman.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378:november-19-2010-coffman-demands-gates-address-threat-of-radical-islam&catid=36:latest-news&Itemid=10)

Would this have any effect on the defense of MAJ Hasan had such a paragraph been included? (Especially for a NGRI defense?)