As announced on Facebook here, supporters of PFC Bradley Manning — who is accused of having provided classified documents to Wiki-[you know what] — will hold a support rally in the Quantico/Triangle area on Sunday from 1400 to 1700.

6 Responses to “PFC Manning’s supporters to hold rally in Quantico/Triangle area on Sunday”

1. Mike No Man Navarre says:

Ok, COL, did you \”Like\” the Free Manning Facebook group?

2. soonergrunt says:

I hope they have fun. I hope they get to peacefully exercise their 1st Amendment right to free speech without difficulty.
    Having said that, I noticed that they do loves them some pictures of him in his graduation photo in his uniform, which irony I note because most of his supporters of whom I’m aware would hate his ever living guts if not for the specific crimes of which he is charged.

3. John Harwood says:

Well said, SG. They wouldn’t give two s***s for you and your service – their favorite soldiers are the ones who degrade national security, not the ones who support it.

4. soonergrunt says:

Well said, SG.They wouldn’t give two s***s for you and your service – their favorite soldiers are the ones who degrade national security, not the ones who support it.

John, I am a dyed-in-the-wool lefty. Absolutely unrepentant about it, too. I wouldn’t vote for a Republican if you put a gun to my head. But that doesn’t mean for one moment that I harbor any hatred for my country, and I’ve served my country in places and circumstances where I was proud to serve and places where I was rather less so, because that is what a Soldier does. There are things I would change about my country in a heartbeat, if I could. But I will never understand those people that hate their fellow countrymen who’ve made the nation’s defense their duty. Some still confuse the policy with those who carry it out, and they forget that in a democracy, military personnel do the lawful things they are told to do because the system can’t work any other way.
    They don’t understand that Manning and Lakin are opposite sides of the same coin. Both of these men decided that they knew better than their chain of command, and they acted accordingly to thwart the will of the people as expressed by their selection of a Commander in Chief and that CinC’s orders to the Army.

5. Bill C says:

SG: You and I probably disagree on nearly every issue, but you are a patriot, and I honor your service to the country. Just as you get frustrated with those on the left who despise what you do, I get frustrated with those on the right who insist liberal = America hater. You are proof that they are wrong.

6. John Harwood says:

SG, thanks for the comment. This is a very interesting thread. If I could change one thing about the public perception of those in uniform, it would be the false belief that all (or at least most) military members are gun-toting “shoot ’em all” war mongers. This couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m currently an LLM student at the U.S. Army’s JAG school, and we had a very interesting water cooler debate today on the propriety of the Libya intervention. There were a variety of opinions expressed – a few were all for it, a few were very reluctant, and a few were just trying to figure out what the American interest there is.

You hit the nail right on the head – I hope Lakin and Manning end up sharing a cell, because they’ve got more in common than anyone would think.