Thanks to both Michelle McCluer and our very own Mike “No Man” Navarre for pointing out that a drawing of Mickey Mouse as a detective is USACIL’s actual command logo — and here’s a link to a letter from Walt Disney Productions confirming that fact.

6 Responses to “USACIL really is a Mickey Mouse operation”

1. Phil Cave says:

U gotta luv it.

2. soonergrunt says:

Considering how everything Disney does is planned to the nth degree and executed with exacting attention to detail, I think it’s an insult to Mikey Mouse to call USACIL a ‘Mickey Mouse’ operation, even if they have a license.
    Pretty ironic, when you think about it.

3. Phil Stackhouse says:

TDS was kind enough to invite me out there to teach a class for a defense seminar. I laughed out loud when I saw that seal inlaid in the marble floor of the foyer of the lab. Now Dexter I could understand – but Mickey with the wizard hat…

4. Michael Lowrey says:

You guys have little sense of history. I have a copy of “World War II Combat Squadrons of the United States Air Force” and Bugs, Daffy and friends show up quite often in emblems approved during World War II.

5. Phil Cave says:

Mike, you are of course right. But I think there is a little tongue-in-cheek going on here. “Mickey Mouse” is sometimes used as a epithet to characterize organizations that seem disorganized, silly, and a lot of other choice words and acronyms. In that context, it’s just plain funny. One of my favorite dictionaries — the Urban Dictionary — goes a little further than the standard definition of a mickey mouse organization: “A business, organization, or other that is unprofessional. These often blame the customers for their own c***-ups.” My thought on Mills is not so much that he was a bad actor, but that when first caught USACIL never told anyone (that I remember), it was only after they let him back to do the same kind of work — bad work — again, that they then “confessed” to the problem. This is an organization that trumpets in court the quality of it’s quality assurance program, etc. To paraphrase Verizon, “do you trust me now?” And the same could be said for the drug labs. At least when DCFL had a rogue forensic examiner they fairly quickly alerted the customers about the problem and took immediate steps (although again you’d have to question their vaunted QA program designed to catch flawed analysis).

6. Dew_Process says:

I have my very own “Mickey Mouse” USACIL logoed coffee mug, that daily reminds me of their “status.”