Not exactly courts-martial news, but did you see Mr. Three Times Bankrupt is jumping on the birther bandwagon?  WaPo Fact Checker here.  Maybe in addition to being the perfect person to save us from the national debt, he’ll also convince another Army officer to dump his/her career in the toilet to get the President’s birth certificate in discovery . . . and pump up our blog hits again.

Salon.com reports on the law professors that signed the open letter to President Obama about the Manning case, as reported in The Guardian.  See our prior post here.  Call me crazy, but it always makes me suspicious about a story when the events occur in the US and the first report comes from a UK news outlet.  And it makes me equally curious when the only copy of such a letter is a web post at the New York Review of Books.  Bonus Manning Coverage from NYT on the U.N. Special Rapporteur on Torture’s denied visit with PFC Manning.  H/t to ERF via DHS cc JMTG bff USAA sltdltbbb AMN and SAN.

In Egypt, a blogger was sentenced to three years in jail for criticizing the military’s handling the recent uprisings . . . in relatively tame language I must say.  The report from Reporters Without Borders links to the actual post and contains some excerpts.  I guess I won’t be blogging on any trips to the Pyramids.

This is the craziest marital discord meets military justice story since Diaper-gate.  In the end the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team former CO may be found guilty of various charges, but the whole divorce thing just makes you feel for him.  I remember an officer I worked with in Norfolk came home from deployment to essentially an empty house, so this stuff happens in military families.  It ain’t easy so I give those folks a lot of credit.

8 Responses to “Courts-Martial News Roundup”

1. Stewie says:

Interestingly enough, the latest CNN poll has him tied for first with I Heart Huckabee in getting the republican nomination.

Read into that what you will.

2. Ama Goste says:

No Man, I’d feel for the guy/gal whose spouse deserts him/her during a deployment, but it sounds like this guy did the deserting. He supposedly went to visit his honey instead of his family on his mid-tour leave, then got his wife sent home to the States, and moved his sweetie into base housing. If any of this is true, I don’t have much sympathy regarding his divorce. Also, he filed first, and then the wife filed.

3. Phil Stackhouse says:

When a Senior Officer’s life is falling down around his ankles – I often wonder if they reflect back on the opportunities they had and wasted when one of their soldiers was asking for help, a second chance, or just for someone to listen to them before he destroyed their lives.

4. Mike No Man Navarre says:

Phil–So true. I always found the hard a*s MarCorps officer with family issues to be an odd duck of a client.

AG–agree, IF TRUE, these facts don\’t cry out for sympathy. Just commenting more on a general feeling for soldiers and officers in these situations.

5. N says:

I think the link was removed from the story.

6. Ama Goste says:

N, I wonder if this is the missing link: http://www.nimjblog.org/2011/04/mud-flying-in-sky…

7. N says:

That was what I was looking for, thank you!

8. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Ahh yes, the Missing Link, great wrestler. I updated, the NIMJBlog one works too.