An alert reader called our attention to this post on the Main Justice blog about the status of Kevin Ohlson’s nomination to CAAF.  According to the post, “his nomination is almost certain to be held over to the next session of Congress that begins in January.”  The post explains that votes on his nomination will probably await the conclusion of congressional investigations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ Operation Fast and Furious.

9 Responses to “Main Justice blog post about Ohlson’s nomination to CAAF”

1. Peanut Gallery says:

“Quiet Military Court.”  Nice.  Why not use another vowel and call it “quaint”?

Without anything to base this on other than my casual knowledge of current events, Mr. Ohlson seems like a high-profile pick for such a “quiet” court.  Have any previous nominees (confirmed or not) carried the name recognition of Mr. Ohlson?

2. Dew_Process says:

PG – Judge Susan Crawford immediately comes to my mind.

3. Eugene R. Fidell says:

Among past judges were a United States Senator (who was also an ambassador) as well as a former State Governor. Judge Perry was a prominent civil rights lawyer. Judge Everett was a well-known law professor and bar leader.

4. Peanut Gallery says:

Thanks to Dew Process and Mr. Fidell for reminding me that I am not as old as I feel.  This is the first time in a while that someone or something was “before my time.”

5. Ama Goste says:

PG, are you calling Prof. Fidell and Dew “old?”

6. publius-publicola says:

In my humble opinion, if someone knew or should have known about Fast and Furious and did nothing to stop it, that someone should not be confirmed.

7. Charlie Gittins says:

I totally agree with P=P.  Somebody needs to be fired.  That it has not happened yet astonishes me.

CG

8. Dew_Process says:

Ama – I won’t speak for Gene, but my CAAF Bar # is 20564, if that tells you anything!  Let’s just say we’re “mature!”

9. The Fifth Horseman (I fell off and they left me) says:

Agree that a scalp is needed, but Ohlson is to far removed and wasn’t the “decider.”