Maryland Train Derailment Cuts Internet Service to Gitmo Commission Hearings

That’s not a typo, see Miami Herald coverage here.  Three questions come to mind, (1) how in the world does that work, internet service in Gitmo provided via fiber optic line in Ellicott City, MD, (2)  how did DoD become dependent on this single fiber optic line to connect Gitmo to the internet, and (3) why is DoD telling the world this?  I can tell you that once this is fixed I won’t be driving under that bridge as often.  Can you say terrorism target?

Beard-gate Delay Continues at Fort Hood

See AP (via WaPo here) coverage of Beard-gate at the court-martial of MAJ Nidal Hasan. Deadline for response to the CAAF order is today.

Unreviewable Civilian Dismissals

Interesting civil case out of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit that essentially says the dismissal of a non-critical sensitive employees is unreviewable.   See Berry v. Conyers, No. 2011-3207 (Fed. Cir. Aug. 17, 2012), here.

8 Responses to “Military Justice News for August 22, 2012”

1. Cloudesley Shovell says:

I’m an old man from the age of sail (go USS Constitution!), but even my feeble understanding of this here internet thingy is that it’s like a web, spanning across the globe, world-wide, and that one of its great inherent strengths is information can travel along this web (or through them tubes) over a variety of ever-changing pathways, so that even if a few strands are broken, the web itself survives undiminished.
    Speaking of old communications networks, remember when naval messages were actually transmitted by radio?  And every naval station had a huge antenna farm with strangely-shaped rhomboid and circular antennas?  And messages were typed out in all caps on those chunkity-chunk teletype machines in the comm shack?  Heck, I even remember when DSN was called autovon, and you caught hell if you dialed long-distance instead of using it.  Ah, those were the days.

2. Gene Fidell says:

If the military judge’s response is available, perhaps someone will post it.

3. Bridget Wilson says:

Wow, I had forgotten autovon. You are aging yourself.

Sounds like GTMO is fed through the NSA located on Ft. Meade.

5. Dew_Process says:

KF – “You have the right to remain silent . . . .”  But in all seriousness, under the bizarre and byzantine definitions of what’s allegedly “classified” down at GTMO, that observation, based upon public news reports, would be a security breach.

Admiral:  I’m assuming that you’re referring to TWX messages and coupled with the Autovon, a significant improvement over smoke signals [a dangerous practice on board wooden ships] and semaphore flags.  Before fax machines, a TWX was as good as it got!

DP,

Maybe the Government will cut me a deal if I befriend PFC Manning in jail and testify against him with whatever they want me to say, not that that has ever happened in a criminal trial…….

You are probably right regarding the observation and how the Man could find some way to charge it as a crime, but if that is a crime, then they need to take down all those NSA signs around the fences that border Elllicott City.

7. Cloudesley Shovell says:

Hello Dew,
    I believe the US Navy to this day uses signal flags and signal lamps for communications, and still takes daily star shots for navigation, and continues to train signalman in the “ancient arts,” so to speak.  No school like old school when you’re EMCON or the fancy electrons fail you.  Use it or lose it.  Heck, I’m so old I actually had to learn both Morse code and celestial nav.  Skills long since lost, alas.

8. Dew_Process says:

Admiral,
       You are of course, correct.  I didn’t mean to imply that “signalling” was a lost naval art – indeed, it seems someone with intelligence has kept it alive for emergencies and “radio silence” status.  Check this out:

KF:  You’re right about all of those signs.  But don’t worry, the CAAFlog defense team will cover your back!