Today I’ll remember Code 45 alumna Mari-Rae Sopper, who was murdered in the attack on the Pentagon, and other victims of the 9-11 attacks.

6 Responses to “Remembering the 9-11 victims”

1. Bill C says:

Amen my brother. Only met her once, but she made a lasting impression.

2. Peanut Gallery says:

I will never be able to purge the image of those who jumped from the WTC towers, or the sight of the towers themselves falling to earth.

And the name Todd Beamer (I know, he’s not the only one) will always have the instant connotation of “hero.”

3. Terri Zimmermann says:

Me too. I was working as a Reservist at Code 45 when she was there and was lucky to have met her. What a loss. Prayers for all of the families.

4. Charlie Gittins says:

I had an appellate case with her.  She was a very nice person and did some nice work on the appellate brief with me.  We talked at length on the phone once about her desire to teach gymnastics rather than continuing as a lawyer.  I think she was on her way home to follow that dream on 9/11.  I was very sad to hear she had been killed.

5. Dew_Process says:

I had the privilege of working with her on an appeal.  A unique, tenacious but special woman is my best description.  We talked many times later on about issue framing, tactics etc., and while she hated losing at anything, she never let that interfere with her next project.  I had been activated 2 days later and didn’t find out she’d been killed until about a week later.  Here’s to you, Mari-Rae!

6. Jim Richardson says:

As a member of the CAAF staff at the time, I remember her as a coollyl professional lawyer who was simply overjoyed to have won the job as the gymnastics coach.  A great loss to both professions.