This week at SCOTUS: I’m not aware of any new military justice developments at the Supreme Court. There are five active petitions for certiorari in military justice cases:
- Rose v. United States, No. 12-229 (pending conference on September 24)
- Easton v. United States, No. 12-210 (pending conference on September 24)
- Hatley v. United States, No. 12-187 (pending conference on September 24)
- Stanley v. United States, No. 11-1500 (pending conference on September 24)
- Fry v. United States, No. 11-1395 (pending a response from the Solicitor General (due October 12))
This week at CAAF: CAAF is in its summer recess. The first scheduled oral argument of the term is on October 9, 2012.
This week at the ACCA: The Army CCA will hear oral argument in one case this week:
Wednesday, September 19, 2012: United States v. Quinn, No. 20110159
Appellant was convicted at a general court-martial of indecent conduct. Appellant was sentenced to a bad-conduct discharge, confinement for six months, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and reduction to the grade of E-1. The Court granted appellant’s request for argument on the following assignments of error:
I. [Whether] Article 120(k), UCMJ — indecent acts — is unconstitutionally void for vagueness as applied to appellant.
II. [Whether] Appellant’s conviction under Article 120(k), UCMJ, for engaging in sexual intercourse in the presence of others violated the Due Process clause of the Fifth Amendment in light of Lawrence v. Texas.
This week at the AFCCA: The next scheduled oral argument at the Air Force CCA is on October 11, 2012.
This week at the CGCCA: The Coast Guard Trial Docket shows no pending cases at the Coast Guard CCA.
This week at the NMCCA: There is no posted notice of upcoming oral arguments at the Navy-Marine Corps CCA.