Here is the AP story via WaPo.  H/t GGH

11 Responses to “Breaking News: Bales to Face Capital Court-Martial”

1. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Just noticed this interesting “quote” in the middle of the story:

His civilian lawyer, John Henry Browne, did not immediately return an email seeking comment Wednesday. But on Tuesday, he told The Associated Press that he met with Army officials last week to argue that Bales should not face the possibility of the death penalty, given that Bales was serving his fourth deployment in a war zone.

That’s an interesting mitigation position.

2. WWJD says:

I’m glad the Government can go for the death penalty in this case but not seek it in a number of terrorist cases.  Shows how suicidal willing to throw people under the bus we treat people as cannon fodder tolerant we are.

3. soonergrunt says:

I hate to sound snarky* but given the military’s record with capital cases, should SSG Bales even be worried about the death penalty, given all of the reversals/commutations?  For that matter, should MAJ Hassan?  I mean, from what I’ve learned on this site, just about the safest place to be in the world is on Death Row at USDB.
    *actually, I like being snarky, but it doesn’t sound as dignified.

4. WWJD says:

Hmm, I meant to strike through those other comments.

I’m glad the Government can go for the death penalty in this case but not seek it in a number of terrorist cases.  Shows how <suicidal> <willing to throw people under the bus> <we treat people as cannon fodder> tolerant we are.

5. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

SG–LOL!

6. Ama Goste says:

Just skimmed the article, but it says all the guys sitting on the military’s death row are sitting there for stateside crimes.  Apparently they forgot about Akbar?

7. Mike "No Man" Navarre says:

Ama–Yeah, that’s odd.  The story got expanded a little fromt he first version, you’d think with more time they could do some fact checking.  But in today’s world, I guess first is better than right.

8. Don Rehkopf says:

This promises to be a circus, unfortunately.  I know that some months ago he was raising hell because the Army wouldn’t [and probably couldn’t] detail a “death qualified” DC – anyone know what became of his efforts to “fire” Detailed Counsel?

9. Gordon smith says:

I liked the bit where the article speculates that President Obama might have  to approve a death sentence for Bales. I don’t think the author realizes that presidential approval of such a sentence probably won’t occur for another two decades, if ever.

10. Christopher Mathews says:

WWJD:  Never really thought of a capital referral as a sign of “tolerance,” but thanks for that perspective.