AP (Via WaPo here) anticipates a ruling on PFC Bradley Manning’s unlawful pre-trial confinement motion today.  Today’s hearing focused on motions in limine and evidence of PFC Manning’s motivation in sending classified material to the Wiki[shhh] website.  The court also heard from the government on motions to preclude evidence that information PFC Manning provided to Wiki[shhh] was over-classified.  Here is a running report from the Dissenter at firedoglake.com.

7 Responses to “PFC Manning Hearing Jan. 8, 2013”

1. Cloudesley Shovell says:

The latest update at the firedoglake link says 112 days of pretrial confinement credit.  Good grief.  I’ve gotten more credit at a SpCM for unlawful pretrial restriction.

2. soonergrunt says:

Judge Lind awarded PFC Manning 112 days of sentence credit against any future conviction.

So, do you go Judge Alone with a judge who gives 112 days of PTC, or do you roll the dice with a panel?  Does anyone have the GCMCO for Meade?  Are there any NSA personnel on the panel?  Tough call.

4. SFC V says:

Officers and NCO’s tend to take a very dim view of those who thumb their nose at authority.  The best argument I can think of for going with a panel is that Manning’s CoC continued to let him have access to the information when he apparently shouldn’t have.  If there is one thing in this world panel members are likely to hate more than an out of control Soldier it’s incompetent leadership.

I don’t know that I would want a panel on this one. Considering Manning’s fairly obvious disdain for the military that’s not a guy you want to put in front of a panel. I think this is especially true when it comes to sentencing.

5. Ama Goste says:

Cloudesley, I thought that was pretty low also, considering I got 10-for-1 credit before.  Of course, that was for my guy who stewed in the Filipino immigration lock-up for a while.
    KF, isn’t the Military District of Washington commander, not the Ft. Meade commander, the GCMCO for this court?  If so, they could pull members from anywhere in the DC area.

Judge Lind is one of the nicest people in the Army…she’s also, in my experience, not a light sentencer, fair, kind, but firm I think is a fair appellation for her as a judge.  So would seem a tough call whether to go JA or Panel in this case to me. I suspect the end results wouldn’t be that far off from either choice.

7. Lieber says:

Ama is correct, the GCMCA is the MDW.  The Fort Meade commander is an O-6 btw.