I hesitate to link to it, because it is that bad, but the Scoop Deck has the first ever military justice Carly Rae Jepsen parody video. Here is the link to the Navy Times page with the embedded video. The video tells the story of a sailor caught in a fraternizing relationship after a long weekend of drinking–I know that hits close to home for a couple Navy JAs.  Enjoy, or not.

12 Responses to “MilJus Parody”

Absolutely brilliant!  The Navy Times refers to this as the “fraternization song.”  This song is actually commentary on the military’s misandistric war on sexual assault.

Notice the enlisted is a man who is forced to drink, then seduced by an Ensign.  She filled him up with “beer and vodka chasers”, then apparently has her way with him on the beach where he wakes up incredibly hung over and she with a smile on her face.  Switch genders and what do you have in today’s military?  Rape because the female was too drunk to consent.

But because the female outranks the male in this vignette, you have a male enlisted who is going to get punished because he hooked up with an ensign.  And, how does he feel about it?  He ends the song by saying, “The outcome was Bull$#)^.”    Obviously, he got his nuts crunched at Captains Mast and she got a NPLOC.

2. rob klant says:

The apparent lack of responsiblity/accountabilty of the female officer is also what first struck me.
    But, bear in mind this is part of the CSADD program, which is a peer support program for junior sailors and thus might naturally be expected to focus more on their own decision-making.  See e.g.: http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Documents/media/deckplate_dialogue/DD_Oct11_CSADD.pdf
    Still, an interesting take on how these sailors see the issue, influenced no doubt by their training and personal experiences.

3. rob klant says:

P.S. — Upon my viewing the video again, is there anyone — Bridget? Beth? Dianne? — who sees it as misogynistic, vice misandistric as k fishcher argues?
    Fundamentally, the video’s message seems to reflect a fear (or, is it a fantasy) that women in the military are opportunistic wantons who should be approached, if at all, with extreme caution.  Is there a counter-narrative to the service-wide training on diversity developing among the junior ranks?
    If k fischer’s assessment of the current environment is correct, it may be a prudent defensive posture to be adopted individually by men in the military, but if the position is reinforced institutionally — even by well-intended initiatives such as CSADD —  it would seem to undermine the objective of keeping military women safe and yet fully integrated into the armed forces.
    I’ll admit my perception might be skewed, generationally.  On the second viewing, I finally had to mute the sound of video to endure it.

4. Zachary Spilman says:

I can’t say I understand the need to punish the enlisted man for the inappropriate relationship (necessarily) instigated by the officer. Let me guess – she gets a NPLOC?

That said, he deserves Mast just for wearing his cover like this:

Get the SgtMaj

Rob,

My assessment in the post above was typed with the same tongue in cheek style as my assessment of what the movie Top Gun is really about.  For those of you who have not had the misfortune of hearing this assessment, it goes far beyond Quentin Tarantino’s monologue in ‘Sleep with Me.’

However, it is curious that they took a song that is sung by a female and redid it with a male.  I do sincerely think that if they had a female play the enlisted role in this parody, there would be an outcry by some that this video is mocking sexual assault.

In anticipation of women in combat, I think the Army should make a song based on a male DS’s point of view loosely based on “Seventeen” by Winger, entitled “Basic Trainee.”

She’s just a basic trainee (trainee)
    The girl made moves on me like I’ve never seen
    She’s just a basic trainee (trainee)
    Speir said she’s too naive I find that hard to believe
    (key change denoting climactic ending of song)
    We went to the TMC (TMC)
    That girl gave me love and a bad case of VD
    They turned in her and me (her and me)
    Speir says she’s too naive Now I’ve got a BCD

(It’s a work in progress.)

Rob,

I see your point about how this video could be mysoginistic vice misandristic.  Members of the Navy’s sister service appear to have the view you described above:

7. Ex TC says:

KF,
           In my experience as DC and TC, officers who sleep with enlisted/relationship/frat, irrespective of gender, get NJP and then sent to a Board of Inquiry.  They will be let go with a general discharge if they do not qualify for a board. Officers don’t walk away from frat with a NIPLOC in my experience, it’s a career ender.
    No jail usually, though I’ve seen one or two GCM’s and a dismissal come from them also.

Ex TC  (a/k/a MDMA),

How many BOI’s for fraternization have you seen convened against a female officer who slept with a male enlisted?  I have done zero in my experience.

But, do you remember the case of US v. Gonzalez?  A male CPO was acquitted at court martial of raping a female Ensign, but convicted of fraternization, denied reenlistment, and denied clemency.  Female ensign received a NPLOC and was eventually promoted.

9. rob klant says:

I see them on a fairly regular basis involving nurses and corpsmen.

RK,

Good point.  However, my sexist view was that those relationships were few and far between, and even if they did exist, would be kept under wraps a little better.

11. Ex TC says:

K F
    Nurses and corpsmen , like Rob said. Do a tour in San Diego and watch Balboa just turn them out. Same in DC At whatever the hospital there is called now.  You see it off ships also.  More common for officer men to sleep with enlisted women for sure. but it’s not walk away Scott free.     MDMA (whatever that means)

12. John S says:

In the Army I see more permanently filed GOMORs rather than a Letter of Concern (our equivalent to a NPLOC) for officer/enslisted consensual relationships.  Just recently saw a MAJ involved in consensual relationship with enlisted; got a GOMOR, then a BOI, and are no longer in the military.  Obviously, though, there was no question that it was consensual.  Why would you issue a NPLOC to a female officer just because there was not proof beyond a reasonable doubt that it was rape.  To do adverse administrative action you still need a preponderance of the evidence to support the action.  I find it unlikely gov’t would go forward with a rape charge when a preponderance of the evidence supports the opposite conclusion.