Jim Russell unexpectedly passed away over the weekend.  In addition to being a true military justice legend in his own time, Jim was a wonderful man.  I’m stunned by the loss and will miss him greatly.

9 Responses to “Terribly sad news”

1. Gene Fidell says:

Very sad. Jim was a stand-up guy and an excellent lawyer.

2. Rodger Drew says:

Wow, I’m shocked.  Jim was my first boss when I was an Air Force Area Defense Counsel.  I have sought his counsel over the years and will miss him dearly.

3. Art Record says:

Sad news indeed. I had the great opportunity to work with him on the JSC when he was the chair, and in addition to being a bright MilJus mind, he was truly an Officer and gentleman. I bumped into him last year (or maybe the year before that) at the Army New Developments course, and he still had all the life and enthusiasm for this practice we all share I remembered from a decade earlier. A good man, and a great loss.

4. Dew_Process says:

Ouch!  That’s a real loss to the military justice system!  :-(

5. Christian Deichert says:

We’ve worked with Mr. Russell on all number of courses here at AFJAGS.  I don’t know how I would have run the two military justice administration courses without him.  Definitely a sad day, and a great loss to the Air Force JAG Corps.  We will miss him.

6. M says:

No one is irreplaceable, but he was pretty close.  He was an officer and gentleman.

7. Christopher Mathews says:

Very, very sad news.  I didn’t know Jim well, but I knew him well enough to know that he was a military justice genius and an outstanding leader and teacher.  He’ll be sorely missed.

8. Ama Goste says:

Such heartbreaking news about a man who had such an impact, not only on the USAF MJ system, but across all the services with his work on the sexual assault reporting system and other initiatives.  In addition to his wise (and patient) counsel, we will miss Mr. Russell’s Aggie pride, his always paper-strewn office, his daily lunchtime gym workouts, and his ever-present bomber jacket.  The wild blue yonder is a better place for Jim Russell’s presence, but we could sure use his knowledge here.

9. Ama Goste says:

Col Drew, I believe Col Russell was every current and relatively recently retired O-6’s boss when they were defense counsel, and every single one remembers him fondly.