The PFC Manning court-martial recessed yesterday around noon. See PBS Frontline, here, and ABC News, here. and by the way, the Baltimore City Paper reports, here, that there has not been a ruling in the US District Court FOIA case seeking access to court-martial records in the Manning case.

The MAJ Nidal Hasan trial in the Ft. Hood shootings is back on track after MAJ Hasan dropped his request for additional time to prepare. Members selection is scheduled for Jul. 9, 2013 and opening arguments are anticipated around Aug. 6, 2013. Because he’s representing himself I anticipate media coverage of the opening arguments to be even heavier than would be expected for a case of this importance.

DC Circuit Judge Edwars asks for a different approach to Gitmo detainee cases, AP (via Yahoo News) here, opinion here. Lawfare coverage here.

And the hits just keep on coming for the military in sexual assault cases. This report from Stars aand Stripes on another incident out of USARJ. H/t KF, I misread the S&S report and thought it said the current suspension was related to someone saying that the commander looked out for them.  But that is the USARJ commander story, prior coverage here.

7 Responses to “Military Justice News for Jun. 19, 2013”

  1. Paleo says:

    This is by no mans scientific but I have a feeling most installations, particularly those in the Army, that are “forgotten” are going to be puckering up soon. In other words, it seems a lot of times the abuses take place everywhere, but the cover-ups go on at the places people don’t think about too often. Who ever thinks about the Army in Japan? I know I don’t. But these stories are going to create more interest to dig and more motive to report. There could be a lot of these things coming out soon from places we seldom hear about. 

  2. k fischer says:

    No Man, 
     
    You are my favorite Caaflog contributor, but it appears that you have been hoodwinked by the S&S’s irrelevant association of unknown officer misconduct with the sexual assault epidemic facing the military.
     
    “Walters said the actions were not related to the suspension earlier this month of Maj. Gen. Michael T. Harrison, commander of U.S. Army Japan, for allegedly failing to report or properly investigate a sexual assault claim.”
     
    If this is not related, then why did the S&S feel the need to go into the details on it.  I’m surprised they did not regurgitate the 26,000 sexual assault figure in the story someplace.  If it is related, then come out and say it.

  3. Ama Goste says:

    KF, you and I both know the 2 are likely related.  I thought the story’s photo of MG Harrison with one of the subjects from the latest story was a dead give-away (or a really dumb use of stock photos).

  4. k fischer says:

    But….but……but……Garrison Spokesman Slade Walters said that the actions were not related.  And, people in the Government don’t lie to the public, do they?  He could face 5 years in the brig for making a false official statement.  Wait a second!  Slade Walters doesn’t have a rank, does he?  So, he can’t face court martial for a false official statement.  That’s brilliant, US Government.  Pure brillliance.
     
     
     
     

  5. Paleo says:

    I think the Joint Ethics Regulation still applies to Mr. Walters. There are other ethics regulations that apply if that one doesn’t. That assumes the SecArmy or SecDef believe someone other than junior enlisted members are supposed to abide by those types of things. 

  6. k fischer says:

    Has anyone seen the I Am Bradley Manning Video?  Some on this blog might find it interesting that Bradley Manning was also the Sicilian in the Princess Bride…….stay away from the Iocane powder, dude.

  7. k fischer says:

    Favorite quote from article about video:
     
    “Ugh. Wallace Shawn isn’t dead yet? Inconceivable!”