Judge Lind found PFC Bradley Manning not guilty of the aiding the enemy charge and specification, but guilty of many of the Espionage Act charges and other charges.  Here is one reporter’s account (linked to these Tweets) of the verdicts as they came, the first “charges” are actually the “Additional Charges.”

10 Responses to “Mixed Verdict in Manning Court – Not Guilty to Aiding the Enemy”

1. John O'Connor says:

I think Congress needs to step in with new legislation because of the military’s deplorable conviction rate in Aiding the Enemy cases.

2. Dew_Process says:

JOC – I agree!  I won one of those back in 2006!

3. Cap'n Crunch says:

So, he faces 136 years.  How many does he get?  Any guesses?  Any guesses from anyone who knows Col. Lind?

4. Bill Cassara says:

We will soon see a call to turn all Aiding the Enemy cases over to the civilians.

5. neuma777 says:

CC: I don’t know Col. Lind, but my bet  for the number of years Manning receives will be 10-15 years.

6. COL Mustard says:

Historically, espionage cases under the UCMJ are in the 40 to 50 year range, but we have not done many (any?) in the post Soviet era.   Those numbers are good only if he shows some contrition.   If he is defiant,you could add much much more.  If he preaches the wikileaks line and calls on other whistleblowers to leak secrets, double it.  I don’t think Dave Coombs has anywhere near the level of client control he needs to prevent an absolute disaster in the unsworn.
    This was not a great defense win, it was a judge following the law, yet protecting her record while allowing her to do everything she would have done with that Charge.   He was never going to get LWOP.
    I think the hammer is going to fall pretty hard.  I suspect that he will be transferred to the fed system pretty quickly to the federal system when he is eligible to do so, and ends up as a resident of Florence, Colorado.

7. Justin Henderson says:

COL Mustard, I don’t know what, exactly, you mean by “espionage cases.”  If you mean cases involving charges under the Espionage Act, “we” have done quite a few in the post-9/11 era.

LCDR Matt Diaz, JAGC, USN, faced a set of charges not dissimilar in type, if less numerous and publicized, and minus the 104, from PFC Manning’s, with findings returned from members along the same lines as COL Lind made.  LCDR Diaz got 6 months and a dismissal.

Doesn’t feel like an espionage case, it feels like a case of a dumb kid doing something really dumb for what he thought maybe were good reasons but which had/have the potential to cause real damage to the country.

Slightly different from being a spy/spying for an enemy country.

9. TC says:

COL,
    Bryan Martin pled to attempted espionage a couple of years ago with a PTA capping confinement at 34 years.  I think the MJ adjudged 48.  Ariel Weinmann pled to espionage and the MJ gave him 25 years, capped by PTA at 13.  Those are just a couple off the top of my head, no doubt there have been many more.

10. anon says:

A Fort Lewis soldier was convicted in the mid-2000 of attempting to sell the technical data for the Abrams to an Al Quaeda operative. I believe sentence was life w/ possibility of parole.