Here is the Pittsburgh Tribune Review’s coverage of the preferral in the case of First Sergeant Michael Barbera:

An Army small-kill team leader is charged by military investigators with two counts of murder in the fatal shootings of two deaf, unarmed Iraqi youths in March 2007, an incident first made public in a Tribune-Review investigative report last year.

Then-Staff Sgt. Michael Barbera is accused of killing Ahmad Khalid al-Timmimi, 15, and his brother Abbas, 14, as they tended to cattle in a palm grove near As Sadah, an Iraqi village about 50 miles northeast of Baghdad.

Barbera, 31, who was later promoted to sergeant first class, also is charged with lying to his commanders, directing fellow soldiers to lie to military investigators and making a threatening phone call to a civilian in an effort to keep what happened from becoming public. He was charged on Wednesday at Alaska’s Fort Richardson and is in the process of being flown to Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, where he will undergo a formal arraignment — called an Article 32 hearing in the military.

Aside from the flub in the last sentence of that quote, the Tribune-Review has apparently been all over this story, running a multi-page onvestigaticlve report that they claim led to the Army re-opening the case. See the Trib’s prior coverage here.

4 Responses to “Army Prefers Charges in Six Year Old Iraq Murder Case”

  1. John O'Connor says:

    A word to the wise:
     
    If you commit a heinous crime on active duty, or think you may be accused of having committed a heinous crime while on active duty, do not reenlist.  Repeat, do not reenlist.  Get out of the military and for God’s sake don’t retire.
     
    Sincerely,
    Master Sergeant Stennis

  2. mike says:

    “Or stay and retire” says Hennis

  3. mike says:

    Whoops – next time I will read John’s comment all the way through.

  4. John O'Connor says:

    Oops, Hennis not Stennis.  I should not have gone by memory.