Controversy is roiling around a former Marine who protested his treatment at the hands of the Corps by donning his uniform and literally climbing onto a cross.

Sgt. Joshua Klohr, who feels he was railroaded into a court-martial and a discharge from the military, hung himself from a replica cross at the Colorado state Capitol on Easter Sunday, the Military Times reported.

klohr21-e1398368187718

Fox32 Denvery reports.

In other news.

Army leaders suspended an Afghanistan-bound Fort Carson commander over allegations of insensitivity toward sexual assault victims and gender discrimination before an investigation cleared him last month.

The investigation into the conduct of Col. Brian Pearl is detailed in a 361-page report released to The Gazette on Monday under the federal Freedom of Information Act.

The report shows that three female officers in Pearl’s 4th Brigade Combat Team came forward with the accusations after a Feb. 18 focus group on sexual assault policies with a women-only audience.

So reports Military.com.  The report goes on to say:

Pearl told investigators the statistics drove him to bring the brigade’s women together for a discussion of sexual assault. “I wanted our female soldiers to be comfortable discussing these topics in an all-female environment,” Pearl wrote in a statement to investigators. But what was supposed to be a meeting to drive sexual assault prevention and encourage reporting of attacks left some women in attendance with a different message. “The brigade commander made some comments that left her feeling like the message toward females was ‘Don’t get raped and if you do don’t report it’,” a sergeant wrote in a memorandum to investigators. The training, which focuses on bystanders intervening to stop attacks and includes steps soldiers can take to avoid victimization, is not without controversy. Investigators asked witnesses whether Pearl made comments disparaging victims of sexual assault, negative statements regarding victims and whether anything he said blamed victims for being attacked. “An overwhelming majority of witnesses (29 of 32) said Col. Pearl did not make disparaging or negative remarks about victims of sexual assault with the remaining three witnesses being the original complainant and two supplementary witnesses with the complainant,” the investigator found. Meetings like the one held by Pearl have been happening across the Army over the past year. The military has faced numerous allegations that sexual assault complaints have been mishandled or ignored, and sexual assault is a growing problem for commanders.

This is why conversations and discussions about sexual assault are so hard. On Tueday, the Military Times reported on Manning.

A judge granted on Wednesday Pfc. Manning’s petition for a name change.

Navy Times

19 Responses to “Some crossed wires here”

Re: The COL Pearl military.com article

I remember that one year my wife and I went to Costa Rica for vacation when I was on Active Duty, and I had to sit through a mandatory brief regarding terrorism and what I could do to avoid being killed or kidnapped.  I was really shocked and offended that the US DoD in the 21st Century would focus on my behavior while simply taking a vacation in another country with my wife, rather than focus on the behavior of terrorists and kidnappers.  I think if they made May “Terrorism and Kidnapping Awareness” month, and forced members of Al Qaeda and the South and Central American drug cartels to sit through training briefs focusing on the behavior of the terrorists, then we would probably eliminate terrorism and kidnapping.  It was like I was being blamed for them kidnapping or terrorizing me.  You know, telling me on what floor I should rent a room or that I should vary my daily routes to meals or work is completely inappropriate.  It focuses the attention on my behavior rather than the terrorists.

And, I might be intrugued by the Hanging Marine if he was convicted under Article 120.  Unfortunately, he just violated Federal law, too.

And from the news reports, I thought Manning already had changed his name to Chelsea because that is what all the news organizations are calling him.

2. John O'Connor says:

Re Colonel Pearl, what’s a commander to do?  I think the meassage is clear that commanders should deeal with issues of sexual assault, but if you do you can get suspended from command if 3 out of 32 people think you were insensitive.

3. ResIpsaLoquitur says:

Yeesh.  Most people hold a press conference and file a federal lawsuit when they think the military has crucified them.  This guy actually crucified himself.
    Meanwhile, I’d think he’d have a colorable First Amendment argument that his crucifixion-in-uniform was protected speech.  Which we may not like, but after last year’s “Stolen Valor” decision, I think there’s a good chance he’d win.

JO’C,

It’s much worse.  You can get suspended from commanding a unit that is deploying to fight the #2 enemy, Terry and his AQ buddies, in order to ensure that the military’s #1 enemy, Sexual Assault, is getting its due deference in a case where 29 out of 32 people state officially that the Brigade Commander did not offend them.  His deployment downrange was delayed by at least 10 days, so this investigation could be completed.    I just wonder if those 3 people are going to make up the thousands of Servicemembers who were victims of unwanted sexual behavior in next year’s survey that our good members of Congress are going to use to argue the impotence the military displays in the war against sexual assault.

I just had an awakening of religious sorts, which was the opposite intent of those in the victim industry, and realized that the Executive and Legislative branch are on my payroll, as my law firm wrote an extremely large check to the IRS a week ago.   As a small business owner who generates income through non-government sources, I’m really tired of the income my law firm generates being used for ridiculous CYA investigations by the DoD. I wish my employees, specifically Senators Gillibrand and McCaskill and Congresswoman Speier, were not stuck on stupid, but they are and are the cause of this mess.  At least more senior Officers are being affected as they have run out of those in the lower enlisted ranks, so hopefully it will soon be over.

I’m a little surprised he didn’t change his last name from Klohr to Clohr before he got up on the cross.  At least the initials would match.

6. Lieber says:

what’s worse is you have to sit through antiterrorism training to go to Canada….

7. J says:

I love this article.

Compare this, “He refused to “fraud” enlistees into the Corps by ignoring factors that would disqualify them from service, he said, and ultimately said he could not do what was required of him in the region…”

With this:

“Klohr admits that he hid information about himself in order to join the Marine Corps. He enlisted despite having been expelled from school, having physical problems — including asthma — and a criminal record. According to reports from the time, Klohr was charged by Denver police in 2005 with setting a cat on fire and throwing it off a roof. He was 18 at the time.”

Also, a good case study in support of bouncing your wilder ideas off of someone else for a sanity check.
    Klohr:”Hey, I’m thinking about getting into my old dress uniform so I can crucify myself in public at a large marijuana festival to protest my conviction for refusing to recruit people like myself into the Marine Corps.
    Friend: You’re what?!?!?!

8. Ed says:

There are too  many  senior officers being suspended based upon incomplete investigations. Why not investigate first and act later.

9. Lieber says:

Ed,  see the Army flag regs….law of unintended consequences….

10. Joseph Wilkinson says:

I’m sure he had help from a very special friend.

11. Bill Cassara says:

He didn’t think he would offend anyone. Wow.  Most Marines are pretty smart in my experience.  Obviously not the case here.

Bill,

You have a point.  Rather than a crucifixion, he kind of looks like he could while away the hours conferring with the flowers/ consulting with the rain.

13. anon says:

“A Marine Corps spokesman, Capt. Tyler Balzer, said that while there were federal laws governing the wearing of the Marine Corps uniform, the Marine Corps had no jurisdiction over Klohr, a discharged Marine.”  Rusty on the nuances of appellate leave, but personal jurisdiction question is incorrect (looks like CM in late 2013 with adjudged BDC)???

14. anon81 says:

You need to read his “manifesto”: http://aattp.org/us-marine-protests-discharge-by-crucifying-himself-in-uniform-images/
    He received a General Discharge, so no jdx from appellate leave

15. Bill Cassara says:

Well, it is nice to see the left has as many loons as the right. I feel much better.

I tried to read that manifesto, but then I saw the grass growing outside, and it kept stealing my interest.

17. af_dc says:

From the article: “Federal law prohibits non-active service members from wearing the uniform, with specific exceptions. As a Marine who received a punitive discharge from the Corps, Klohr does not meet any of those exceptions.”
    If he indeed got a general discharge, I’m disheartened that even the writers at the Military Times do not seem to know the difference between administrative and general discharges.

18. af_dc says:

Dang it. That last comment should read “…the difference between administrative and PUNITIVE discharges.” D’oh.

Stewie,

He does write pretty well, and by “well,” I mean his sentence structure is pretty sound, notwithstanding it sounding quite whiny. It would have been so much more poignant if he was convicted of an Article 120 offense, but I have to admit when I read it was a disrespect charge and he got administratively separated, I kind of lost any sympathy for the guy.
    And, I hate to sound like Inigo Montoya, but he often uses the phrase “Personal Movement,” and I don’t think it means what he thinks it means.