Civilian counsel argued only 4 out of the 32 cases (12.5%) argued at CAAF this term (down from 6 out of 36 last year – 17%): Leahr, MacDonald, Merritt, and Winckelmann. Of these, the Government won in 2 (50%).
In cases argued by military defense counsel, the Government won 17 out of 28 (61%).
Of the 11 cases where military defense counsel argued and won:
- 7 were Air Force cases (Elespuru, Janssen, Knapp, McPherson, Paul, Wicks, and Wilson).
- 4 were Army cases (Davenport, Flesher, Moon, and Warner).
So the success rates for each of the four appellate defense divisions was:
- Air Force Appellate Defense: 7 out of 15 (47%).
- Army Appellate Defense: 4 out of 14 (29%).
- Coast Guard Appellate Defense: 0 out of 1 (0%).
- Navy-Marine Corps Appellate Defense: 0 out of 2 (0%).
Last year’s numbers are here.