This week at SCOTUS: The Court requested a response to the cert. petition in Bartee. I’m not aware of any other military justice developments at the Supreme Court, where I’m tracking seven cases:
- Dalmazzi v. United States, No. 16-961 (pend. conf.) (CAAFlog case page)
- Cox, et al., v. United States, No. 16-1017 (pend. conf.) (Dalmazzi trailers)
- Ortiz v. United States, No. 16-1423 (pend. conf.) (CAAFlog case page)
- Alexander v. United States, No. 16-9536 (pet. dktd Jun. 13; resp. due Sep. 13)
- Tso v. United States, No. 17A40 (ext. of time to file granted to Sep. 29)
- Bartee v. United States, No. 17-175 (resp. requested, due Sep. 28)
- Abdirahman, et al. v. United States, No 17-_206 (pet. filed Jul. 31; resp. due Sep. 18)
This week at CAAF: CAAF has completed its oral argument calendar for the term. A detailed list of this term’s cases is available on our October 2016 Term Page. The first oral argument date for the next term is October 10, 2017.
This week at the ACCA: The Army CCA will hear oral argument in one case this week, on Wednesday, September 6, 2017, at 10 a.m.:
United States v. Suarez, No. 20170366
Issue: Whether the military judge abused his discretion when he suppressed the contents of Appellee’s cell phone under the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution?
Note: This looks like a prosecution interlocutory appeal under Article 62 in a Mitchell-type case (CAAFlog case page).
This week at the AFCCA: The Air Force CCA’s website shows no scheduled oral arguments.
This week at the CGCCA: The Coast Guard CCA’s oral argument schedule shows no scheduled oral arguments.
This week at the NMCCA: The next scheduled oral argument at the Navy-Marine Corps CCA is on September 27, 2017.