This week at SCOTUS: Daniels filed this brief in opposition to the Solicitor General’s petition. In other news, the Solicitor General received a second extension of time to file the requested response to the petition in Richards, and the Court denied the cert. petitions in Livingstone and Camacho.
I’m not aware of any other military justice developments at the Supreme Court, where I’m tracking six cases:
- United States v. Briggs, No. 19-108 (pend. conf.)
- United States v. Collins, No. 19-184 (pet. filed Aug. 9; Collins resp. filed Sep. 9; Daniels resp. filed Oct. 9)
- Richards v. Donovan, et al., No. 19-55 (pet. filed Jun. 8; resp. req. Aug. 14, due Nov. 21)
- Livingstone v. United States, No. 19-5256 (pro se pet. denied Oct. 7)
- Camacho v. United States, No. 19-243 (pet. denied Oct. 7)
- McDonald v. United States, No. 19A191 (ext. of time to file cert. pet. granted to Oct. 26)
This week at CAAF: CAAF will hear oral argument in one case this week, on Wednesday, October 16, 2019, at the J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah:
United States v. Rice, No. 19-0178/AR (CAAFlog case page)
Issue: Whether the double jeopardy clause of the Fifth Amendment requires dismissal of Appellant’s convictions.
This week at the ACCA: The Army CCA’s website shows no scheduled oral arguments.
This week at the AFCCA: The next scheduled oral argument at the Air Force CCA is on October 30, 2019.
This week at the CGCCA: The Coast Guard CCA’s website shows no scheduled oral arguments.
This week at the NMCCA: The Navy-Marine Corps CCA’s website shows no scheduled oral arguments.