This week at SCOTUS: The petition in Hutchins was denied on Nov. 18.
Additionally, on Nov. 21, the Court requested a response to the cert. petition in McDonald, and on Nov. 22 the Army Trial Defense Service filed this amicus brief in support of the petition.
I’m not aware of any other military justice developments at the Supreme Court, where I’m tracking five cases:
- United States v. Briggs, No. 19-108 (consolidated) (cert granted on Nov. 15)
- Richards v. Donovan, et al., No. 19-55 (pet. filed Jun. 8; resp. req. Aug. 14, due Jan. 21)
- Hutchins v. United States, No. 19-489 (pet. denied Nov. 18)
- Voorhees v. United States, No. 19A441 (ext. of time to file cert. pet. granted to Dec. 23)
- McDonald v. United States, No. 19-557 (pet filed Oct. 28; resp. req. Nov. 21).
This week at CAAF: The next scheduled oral argument at CAAF is on December 3, 2019.
This week at the ACCA: The next scheduled oral argument at the Army CCA is on February 13, 2020, at the University of Texas at Austin.
This week at the AFCCA: The next scheduled oral argument at the Air Force CCA is on February 5, 2020, at the George Washington University Law School.
This week at the CGCCA: The Coast Guard CCA’s website shows no scheduled oral arguments.
This week at the NMCCA: The Navy-Marine Corps CCA’s website shows no scheduled oral arguments.