Zachary D Spilman
Zack graduated from the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2003, and from Suffolk University School of Law in 2006. He was commissioned in the United States Marine Corps in 2004, and he began active duty in 2007. He completed his active duty service in 2014 but is still a commissioned officer in the Marine Corps Reserve.
Zack's military service includes repeated assignments as Trial Counsel (prosecutor) and as Defense Counsel, and assignment as a Special Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of North Carolina. In these assignments, Zack worked on hundreds of military and federal criminal cases. He also served as the Chief Review Officer at the Legal Services Support Section East, where his duties included conducting legal review of courts-martial. Additionally, Zack deployed to Afghanistan in 2010-2011, where he served as Battalion Judge Advocate with 2d Battalion, 9th Marines in Marjah, and as Detainee Operations Officer with I Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD) at Camp Leatherneck.
All of Zack’s contributions to this blog are made in his personal capacity and reflect only his personal opinions. His contributions do not in any way reflect the official policy or position of the United States Marine Corps, the Department of the Navy, the Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.
Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org (yes, it's spelled with a K)
- CAAF argument audio: Olson & Muwwakkil
- “Appellant submitted the case upon its merits. And some merit it does possess.”
- Bergdahl to be (or already is) charged with desertion
- The Army CCA finds that furnishing alcohol to a minor (in violation of a general order) is a strict liability (public welfare) offense
- Media reports on the court-martial conviction of Army Major Erik Burris, formerly the Chief of Justice for the 82nd Airborne Division
- This Week in Military Justice – January 25, 2015
- Scholarship Saturday: Sexual harassment and the sexual-violence continuum
- CAAF grants in another case involving the definition of child pornography
- Awesome transparency, awesome issue, awesome CCA
- Argument Preview: United States v. Muwwakkil, No. 15-0112/AR
- Argument Preview: United States v. Olson, No. 14-0166/AF
- This Week in Military Justice – January 18, 2015
- Scholarship Saturday: A proposal to reform court-martial procedure
- A grant, and an order for the Government to re-brief a certified case
- The AFCCA remands Wright for clarification