Civilian defense counsel argued 6 of the 37 cases (16%) argued at CAAF this term: Gutierrez, Morita, Newton, Piolunek, Plant, and Sullivan. Of these, the Government won in 3 (50%).
In cases argued by military defense counsel, the Government won in 17 out of 31 (55%).
Of the 14 cases where military defense counsel argued and won:
- 2 were Air Force cases (Jones and
- 7 were Army cases (Adams, Bennitt, Blouin, Keefauver, Muwwakkil, Peters, and Stellato).
- 3 were Marine Corps cases (Gilbreath, Quick, and Vargas).
- 2 were Navy cases (Simmermacher and Woods).
So the success rates for military defense counsel at each of the four appellate defense divisions was:
- Air Force Appellate Defense: 2 out of 9 (22%).
- Army Appellate Defense: 7 out of 14 (50%).
- Navy-Marine Corps Appellate Defense: 5 out of 8 (63%).
- Coast Guard Appellate Defense: N/A (only Coast Guard case argued by a civilian).